Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a video on youtube... Kaori Kobayashi was puffing her cheeks... i thought that was a 'no-no'? :tsk:

or is it one of those opinion things?

what's the general opinion on her as a sax player?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
It's generally not a good idea to puff your cheeks before you have enough experience and strength in your embouchure muscles to where it makes no difference to your sound.

There are no rules, only conventions.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
It's generally not a good idea to puff your cheeks before you have enough experience and strength in your embouchure muscles to where it makes no difference to your sound.

There are no rules, only conventions.
What he said! And it isn't really cheek puffing anyway. Look at many of the Greats. They are pushing so much air through, their necks and cheeks expand, and their sound is huge!

I look at myself on video, and found that I do the same thing (w/out realizing it). I have no trouble projecting or getting a good tone, and dynamics aren't a problem either.

The trouble most beginners have, is they don't have the abdominal support, nor the mouth muscles and such to produce any real sound. If the "puff" their cheeks, all their power is going into over-stretched cheeks, causing causing a bad seal on the reed and mouthpiece, making an even worse noise, if any sound at all! The proverbial HONK!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
Yes, there's a big difference between puffing your cheeks because you decide to, as opposed to puffing them because they decide to.

It's all about mastery and control.

·
2,870 Posts
Al Cohn and Zoot sims also puff their cheeks.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
what's the general opinion on her as a sax player?
Most people have never heard of her. Of those who have, millions of people think she's great. I like her, and I think she's a good player and very good at what she does. But since she plays "smooth" stuff, a few folks around here will automatically say she's terrible. Fortunately, she's one of the many who don't care what they think. She's a professional, and I hope she just keeps doing her thing.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Most people have never heard of her. Of those who have, millions of people think she's great. I like her, and I think she's a good player and very good at what she does. But since she plays "smooth" stuff, a few folks around here will automatically say she's terrible. Fortunately, she's one of the many who don't care what they think. She's a professional, and I hope she just keeps doing her thing.
What he said...........................

The girl can play better than most................

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
so long you can play out what you have in your heart, that is fine. as per mentioned, there are many other greats who puffed their cheeks too.

·
6,831 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
As a traditional non cheek puffer outer, I just wonder if she might be doing circular breathing?

I have been trying, for years now, to learn circular breathing - one of the practice methods involves filling mouth/cheeks with air and blowing through a straw into a glass of water while inhaling through the nose. This has occasionally resulted in near drowning experiences*, and I still can't do it - but watching circular breathers in action I do note that puffed cheeks are typical.

*I won't even start with tales of my slap tongue study - but student saxophony can truly be hazardous to your health.

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
What he said...........................

The girl can play better than most................
Yeah, I thought pretty much the same thing. She may not be the most brilliant player around, but she has certainly done a great deal of work on her instrument, and it shows.

Being taught not to puff my cheeks, I used to wince everytime I saw someone doing that. But after seeing so many great players do it without seemingly any detriment to their sound or playing, especially the great Dizzy Gillespie, it doesn't bother me anymore.

Furthermore, techniques like circular breathing actually require some puffing of cheeks?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just watched a clip of her and IMO she doesn't puff out her cheeks, maybe she was circular breathing in the other clip?? To me she has a great technique and sound, and the audience seems to be enjoying her playing, definately a lot better than most!!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
That's not really cheek puffing. As NVS said, that's just a whole bunch of air going through expanding the throat -- which in this case moves up her face a little.

·
Banned
593 Posts
that sounds good to me. Im a little surprised too. I didn't think Koreans improved a lot. the whole learn from the masters thing and all. some Korean night clubs are a hoot though.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
that sounds good to me. Im a little surprised too. I didn't think Koreans improved a lot. the whole learn from the masters thing and all. some Korean night clubs are a hoot though.
But Ms. Kobayashi is Japanese.

Korean golfers have been improving a lot over the last several years. Look at the LPGA tour now.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts