Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya'll need to listen to this...Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre is a player I always dug. Back in the 70's this guy was a visionary. I see him in the NYC subways and could just cry. There is some things to pay attention here-

Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre: 'That's not a horn, it's a starvation box'Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre is a 74-year-old jazz saxophonist, who once played with Miles Davis and now busks in New York's subway system to support himself and his wife, Antoinette.

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/briefly-warren-haynes-beacon-tower/

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Tim, you're on a roll this morning.

Kalaparusha is one of the deepest and most soulful tenor players I've ever encountered. A have a beautiful memory of being one of 2 people in a club, in the dead of winter, while he played duets with the excellent drummer Ravish Momin ( the tuba player never arrived). The other person in the club was my wife.

Kalaparusha played like the place was packed, with a tired, worldly testimony of depth and beauty.

Please, let's give him his flowers while he is still with us.

·
Registered
278 Posts

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I'm another fan. I have a couple of his recordings and saw the video. Soulful music comes from soulful people and Kalaprusha is definitely a very soulful player

·
Registered
166 Posts
thanks for posting this, tim.
the saxophone aspect is super bad but the humanness of his scene is unforgettable !
beautiful!

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
If anybody has Mr. McIntyre's contact information, please pass it along to me. Thank you.

- Saxaholic

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well done Tim for raising awareness of Kalaparusha McIntyre..These sort of deep players fall under the radar and it's great that new people are introduced to their work.
Some good reading about his background/who he has played with and discography here..
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/kalaparusha-maurice-mcintyre-p7096/biography
The thing is...unless your living under a rock NOT thinking....is JAZZ IS ACCESSIABLE.

I've thought/said this for years and years. This guy is a great case in point. The music speaks!!
Only thing is...people need to hear it!

·
Registered
467 Posts
@Tim P, Agreed, jazz is accessible.."the music does speak..." and yes people do need too hear it...and
By posting about such players on forums such as this, awareness is raised....
See Also - YouTube films about Giuseppi Logan being "found" alive and well, playing in Tompkins Square Park...

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tim, you're on a roll this morning.

Kalaparusha is one of the deepest and most soulful tenor players I've ever encountered. A have a beautiful memory of being one of 2 people in a club, in the dead of winter, while he played duets with the excellent drummer Ravish Momin ( the tuba player never arrived). The other person in the club was my wife.

Kalaparusha played like the place was packed, with a tired, worldly testimony of depth and beauty.

Please, let's give him his flowers while he is still with us.
FLOWERS FOR THE LIVING...I hear you. Well said :)

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,470 Posts
Tim thanks for the heads up. My personal impression was that of deep sadness in thinking about what the addiction process does to great musicians and the loss of possibilities that it brings. On the other hand he lives a certain sort of life and that in turn comes out of the horn.

B

·
Registered
956 Posts
His apartment is bigger than mine & has 2 tv's & a little chickie that washes his clothes & feeds him, somebody came up with the $$ to produce a CD for him.....not the life of Riley, but sadly, better than other, more well-known, "Names", that I've encountered, over the years.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,470 Posts
His apartment is bigger than mine & has 2 tv's & a little chickie that washes his clothes & feeds him, somebody came up with the $$ to produce a CD for him.....not the life of Riley, but sadly, better than other, more well-known, "Names", that I've encountered, over the years.
Now that just made me sadder :(

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
Tim,
Man things like this are just sad, I think I first heard Maurice in '68 or '69. You know every one has to follow their own path, in my own thoughts when Maurice got with Muhal Abrams and the AACM, all the free jazz and Sun Ra type stuff everything just went downhill. There just wasn't a whole lot of following for that back in early 70s, or even today. But in the end, what can you say.

JR

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Thank you so much for posting this; I always wondered what became of him. Beautiful man, deep soulful, honest music.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts