Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4,381 Posts
Hello!
Would like to know if somebody tried to use a K&M soprano peg on a Hercules stand. Will this work?

Stand: https://www.thomann.de/pt/hercules_stands_ds532b_mehrfachstaender.htm
Peg: https://www.thomann.de/pt/km_15294_soprano_sax_peg_w_adap.htm#bewertung

Thanks!
You don't seem to be getting much feedback on this one so I'll take a shot.

I don't have the K&M peg but I do own several Hercules stands. Most of the Hercules stands take pegs that are 3/8ths course thread. The K&M looks to be smaller than that to me just based upon what I would expect all the relative sizes to be so I don't believe you'd be able to thread this peg in directly. It may be possible to drill the hole in the stand all the way through and use the proper size wing-nut threaded on from the bottom to hold it in place if you really insist upon using that peg. Personally I'd just buy the Hercules stand that comes with the soprano peg and call it good.

https://www.amazon.com/Hercules-DS533B-Alto-Tenor-Stand/dp/B000EENAPO

If you already have the stand you can buy the peg separately as well.

· Registered
1,002 Posts

· Registered
9,967 Posts
I can't answer the specific question but I will say that this whole situation can be infuriating. I have probably eight different sax stands and as many pegs for flute, soprano, C soprano, alto flute, piccolo, clarinet, etc.., etc., etc. I know of at least three different threads used, which is sub-optimal to start out with - but the worst thing is, you cannot find out anywhere what freaking thread anyone's hardware uses! I have made all of mine 3/8-16 UNC (the standard coarse thread hardware store USA thread) but there is a 10 mm thread out there and some smaller metric ones and then the old Hamilton stands use - I think - a #10 or something like that.

I recently broke a flute peg and grabbed another one, only to find that although it LOOKED like 3/8-16, it was something else and I had to run a 3/8 die up it to get it to thread into my stands. Talk about a b***h! You try to turn a plastic flute peg in a thread cutting die, when you can't clamp the peg in a vise because you'll break it (plastic).

I have this sneaking suspicion that the Hercules stands use the 10 mm thread (???) that's close to 3/8 but no cigar; I have the vague recollection of having to tap out my Hercules tenor stand, but I'm not sure about that. I know all the screws they use to assemble the stands are metric.

One good thing is that the threads are only lightly loaded so you don't need great integrity in the threads, so if the threads are close you can just re-thread to the desired size. If the threads are too far apart you can just drill out and tap (if you want larger) or plug with something (secure it with epoxy or Loctite) and drill and tap. But all of this is work that really ought to be unnecessary if manufacturers would just publish what threads they use.

What I will not do is to have more than one thread in my collection of stands. I have to swap parts around too much to tolerate anything other than one mounting standard for everything. Every gig and rehearsal is different.

· Registered
4,381 Posts
I can't answer the specific question but I will say that this whole situation can be infuriating. I have probably eight different sax stands and as many pegs for flute, soprano, C soprano, alto flute, piccolo, clarinet, etc.., etc., etc. I know of at least three different threads used, which is sub-optimal to start out with - but the worst thing is, you cannot find out anywhere what freaking thread anyone's hardware uses! I have made all of mine 3/8-16 UNC (the standard coarse thread hardware store USA thread) but there is a 10 mm thread out there and some smaller metric ones and then the old Hamilton stands use - I think - a #10 or something like that.

I recently broke a flute peg and grabbed another one, only to find that although it LOOKED like 3/8-16, it was something else and I had to run a 3/8 die up it to get it to thread into my stands. Talk about a b***h! You try to turn a plastic flute peg in a thread cutting die, when you can't clamp the peg in a vise because you'll break it (plastic).

I have this sneaking suspicion that the Hercules stands use the 10 mm thread (???) that's close to 3/8 but no cigar; I have the vague recollection of having to tap out my Hercules tenor stand, but I'm not sure about that. I know all the screws they use to assemble the stands are metric.

One good thing is that the threads are only lightly loaded so you don't need great integrity in the threads, so if the threads are close you can just re-thread to the desired size. If the threads are too far apart you can just drill out and tap (if you want larger) or plug with something (secure it with epoxy or Loctite) and drill and tap. But all of this is work that really ought to be unnecessary if manufacturers would just publish what threads they use.

What I will not do is to have more than one thread in my collection of stands. I have to swap parts around too much to tolerate anything other than one mounting standard for everything. Every gig and rehearsal is different.
You maybe right about the threads. I don't have the tools to measure them exactly so I was just eyeballing them but I do have some older pegs that came along with what used to be sold as "Hamilton" stands years ago and now are sold under all sorts of brand names like Titan and On-Stage that fit my Hercules sax stands.

It would be nice if these guys would all agree on one standard but I'm not holding my breath on that. Every company always believes their standard is the best and everyone else should switch over to their's - Fair enough. However what set me off was trying to get the Hercules alto flute peg for my sax stands. This peg is not available separately so finally I broke down and paid the $35 to get the whole stand. The peg that goes with the alto flute stand is a size smaller than all the other pegs that come with the sax stands ggggrrrrrrrrrrr! I get that all the products from different companies may not work together but can you at least pick a standard and use it for all the products you make!

· Banned
2,815 Posts
I use Hercules stands exclusively and unfortunately can't answer the O/P's question, but I can tell you one thing for sure.... In the world of saxophone/clarinet/flute stands, virtually NONE of the thread sizes are the same between any two stands. That's the harsh reality of it. Drives me nuts too and that's one of the main reasons I use one brand that I like exclusively. Good luck with finding out!

· Registered
9,967 Posts
I use Hercules stands exclusively and unfortunately can't answer the O/P's question, but I can tell you one thing for sure.... In the world of saxophone/clarinet/flute stands, virtually NONE of the thread sizes are the same between any two stands. That's the harsh reality of it. Drives me nuts too and that's one of the main reasons I use one brand that I like exclusively. Good luck with finding out!
I've been pretty pleased with the two Hercules stands I have, but the baritone stand doesn't fit a low Bb without extensive modification, and it's wicked heavy. I kept on modifying it until it fits my bass sax. Actually, that's not relevant to this discussion because my old tried and true bari stand doesn't accomodate pegs.

The thing is, I bought a bunch of pegs and stands over the years as they became available (it was not easy to find a soprano peg in 1982; it's never been easy to find an alto flute peg; and so on) so I really don't want to just toss all that stuff out and start over with a new system. (I had a college friend, a serious photographer, who changed over from Canon to Nikon and I got his old stuff.)

Anyway, I guess I'm just griping at this point so I ought to shut up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.