Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I came within 16 seconds of buying the Zephyr tenor Pgraves was selling here and on ebay for 1700$ (it sold for 1725$)

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=67772

I might have gone a little higher, but I was confused by the (apparent) lack of interest in what looks to me like a killer tenor at a very good price.

I've asked this before and no doubt will again, but am I missing something!?!?:?

Is this not a 2K$ horn at least?

Rory

ps. Pgraves: I hope you don't mind me posting about this--at least I made you an extra 25$:)
pps. I need this sax like the proverbial hole in my head, but I was thinking that I might never get another chance at a top level King for this kind of money.

·
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man! How do you guys figure out this stuff!?

To my eyes the engraving looks super sharp--in every sense of the word! Nicer, for example, than the one Dave has at Junkdude (for 2300$).

Rory

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
Why settle for a Zeph when you can get a Super 20?

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts

·
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey YH,

A Super20 would be nice too, but I'm not sure "settle" is the right verb to use with that Zephyr, at least not according to what I've read about that vintage of King tenors. "Cherish" maybe. Also, completely overhauled S20s are going for about twice that amount.

Like everybody else, I guess, I've looked at that (apparently) replated Zephyr a few times and, IMHO, it gets uglier every time. The Zephyr Pgraves sold looks much much, much better to me--and was 500$ less.

Rory

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Rory,

I have no personal interest or connection to the seller, but came across this Zephyr on Minneapolis Craigslist. Might be worth a further look for you.
JR

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Rory,

I know I'm going to be in the minority here, but IMO relacquered horns might just offer the best value for money out there. For a player, that is.

Not all relacquered horns are over buffed. The fact that most hobbyists and collectors steer clear of them, makes them an attractive proposition for someone looking for a great playing horn, at under the going rate.

I've played some fantastic relacquered horns and I know quite a few full time pros, who don't give a monkey's about the fact that a horn might be relacquered, as long as it plays.

·
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys,

JR: That looks like it could be a beauty too, thanks. Notwithstanding the seller's comments, would you assume a few hundred for repairs when thinking about the real cost?

DP: I agree 100% In fact, I've often thought that if a previous owner cared enough to have a horn relaquered, he or she probably took pretty good care of the horn. That said, the market is the market and the "relaqs" do go for a lot less.

How guys like Grumps and Jason etc. can spot these things is still a total mystery to me. I mean, if the engraving is really diminished--or if it's a bright red Martin--I can tell, but this one!? :?

One thing that does seem true is that the price of the Zephyrs is not going to keep pace with the S20s and the various Conns, prices which seem to go up every day!

My Martin Dick Stabile may turn out to be the vintage tenor for me, but if it doesn't, I'd like to find the one before they hit 5000$. I'm pretty sure I'll never own a MarkVI. My crappy old HNWhite is such a great sounding/playing horn: I can only imagine how nice a top level King would be. I'm pretty sure I could "settle" for a beautiful classic tenor like the series III or IV Zephyrs:king:

Rory

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
Playing an after-market silver plated Zephyr last January was what gave me the itch for a King tenor. What an even flow that horn had. It belonged to the owner of the shop that had a booth at the JMU Sax Symposium and it wasn't for sale. I believe it also had the squarish keys, which some players don't favor, and that might be one reason that refinished King has been sitting on Ebay for a while.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
rleitch said:
Hey guys,

JR: That looks like it could be a beauty too, thanks. Notwithstanding the seller's comments, would you assume a few hundred for repairs when thinking about the real cost?

Rory
It's hard to guess--ask for more detailed photos and a detailed description. If it's been up for awhile, they'll probably flex on the price enough where you could build in a minor mechanical overhaul, and still come out close to the asking price.
JR

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
rleitch said:
My Martin Dick Stabile may turn out to be the vintage tenor for me, but if it doesn't, I'd like to find the one before they hit 5000$. I'm pretty sure I'll never own a MarkVI.
Rory
Good idea Rory, about finding that vintage horn now before the prices go any higher. If you really want to go on a search, I wouldn't neglect the Conns or, especially, Buescher horns if you're looking for that big resonate sound. Don't worry about not owning a MKVI. The VI is a great horn, but not necessarily any better than some other vintage horns. My VI mostly sits in the closet while I play the Buescher Aristocrat.

Based on that other thread, I guess pgraves prefers what he calls the "focused, slightly nasal sound of a Selmer." So it's all down to what you like.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts