Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dave lets me try everything over there so I visit like twice a year.I told him that I recently found a tenor miami dukoff that does it all .a d7 that subtones /easy to play /hits altissimo at will etc.. I loved that piece and saw that he had a similar super power chamber tenor in nickel plated brass.Ive tried a few of the nickel plated ones but never found one I liked as much or better then the silverite models until this one. I loved it so I swapped 2 pieces for it .I didnt care about giving up my prized vintage metal berg for it because I was able to a-b it and the nickel dukoff just smoked my best berg!! now im set for tenor with 2 dukoffs .I actually have another silverite in a d6 that I like too (played it for 25 years until discovering the internet)but that one is a .92 tip and plays a little smaller.I had dave measure the 2 dukoffs and al though the nickel one was marked d6 it measured 100 then he measured my silverite one that was marked d7 and that one also measured 100 on the nose so i guess thats why it felt good to me.all told he let me try all I wanted maybe 15 mouthpieces but the moment I played the nickel dukoff I knew that my search was over for good on tenor.
Dave is a great guy and has tons of great pieces at the moment .he let me try 10 metal bergs and a couple of them were killers as well .nobody but other sax players would be interested in my trips to junkdude so I thought I share it here.Other friends and relatives say to me you all ready have sax mouthpieces why would you buy more? but you guys understand......Im on a mouthpiece high now and havnt put my "new" early 60s dukoff down much since I got it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,461 Posts
i bought my wife a king marguerite clarinet.. that she loves from junk dude... i would love to check out their store someday.

·
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave runs the store. they have an expert repairman in there and daves wife teresa helps dave run the place. She is really nice too and does lots of jobs in there .This trip was especially good because he just has tons of horns and mouthpieces and treats me great.Its like you just walk in and tell him what tip size you like and what kind of sound your shooting for and he just starts lining up mouthpieces for you to try. as many as you want. Dream come true. No wondering after staring at a pic on the net (how this one or that one will play and sound)You just take a good reed or 2 and start to go at it rapid fire.any ways Id thought Id let some players know about him that might be near Columbus.(he is actually like 15 miles east of Columbus) that its worth a trip .Before I met Dave I would just guess what I might like and buy it here or off ebay and hope but my average for finding keepers that way was really low.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Dave and Theresa are great to do business with. Over the years I have purchased both horns and mouthpieces from him with great satisfaction. A couple of times I have purchased pieces that did not quite work for me and Dave took them back with no questions.
Their support for Morgan Mouthpieces has been critical in keeping the line alive.

JunkDude Music is a great resource to the community.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,578 Posts
Dave runs the store. they have an expert repairman in there and daves wife teresa helps dave run the place. She is really nice too and does lots of jobs in there .This trip was especially good because he just has tons of horns and mouthpieces and treats me great.Its like you just walk in and tell him what tip size you like and what kind of sound your shooting for and he just starts lining up mouthpieces for you to try. as many as you want. Dream come true. No wondering after staring at a pic on the net (how this one or that one will play and sound)You just take a good reed or 2 and start to go at it rapid fire.any ways Id thought Id let some players know about him that might be near Columbus.(he is actually like 15 miles east of Columbus) that its worth a trip .Before I met Dave I would just guess what I might like and buy it here or off ebay and hope but my average for finding keepers that way was really low.
My wife has family outside of Columbus... I'll have to remember this if/when we visit them next time.

·
2,045 Posts
I am trying to plan a trip out there in early August. it's about 2:45 from PGH to his place, but I'd love to go and try some pieces and play some different horns.

·
6,862 Posts
He's on my bucket list!

·
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no coincience. I have nothing to gain by saying nice things about Dave and his store.Im a sax player from Northeast Ohio and the store is about a 3 hour drive from me.I actually started going to Dave when He was still running the business out of his house.I did want to let guys know about the store because with all this saxophone talk I thought the guys would really enjoy the place . I do want to see Dave prosper because after going to him for years he has become like a friend of mine . J.D. Goldberg

·
2,384 Posts
Anyone who'd like to have a chance to try a wide range of saxophones in good playing condition, along with a bunch of vintage mouthpieces, needs to make a Junkdude pilgrimage! I recounted my excellent adventure of a few years back here: My Field Trip to Junkdude.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts