Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the years I have met and played with several bari players that had a Buffet S1 or SDA, since I liked how they sounded I assumed these are good horns.
I recently came across an affordable SDA low A bari and decided to buy it. Minor detail: the horn doesn't have a neck:(

Luckily there's a great craftsman overhere in the Netherlands by the name of Karsten Gloger who makes saxophone necks. I've been in touch with him before and he is willing to make a neck for my Buffet bari. Since baritone necks are relatively small (compared to tenor and alto) this should cost me somewhere around €400-500.

The thing is: Mr. Gloger needs an original Buffet bari neck for a couple of days to take measurements. There are a couple of options I'm trying to work out in order to fix this, but if anyone here has suggestions I'd be happy to hear them!

View attachment 240270

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
well, finding an original neck will be next to impossible and your only otion is to find someone, locally, who would be willing to lend you the neck.

Unfortunately Karsten Gloger( who has measured many dozens of saxophones), must have never been coming across one of these. Another option is the Blazers atelier Tilburg, much recommended place, they are great Neck makers and they MAY have the measurements.

The neck has an octave key, Gloger charges more for these necks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,398 Posts
Do you even know if the neck has an octave key on it? I would stereotype the neck (long, with octave key or short without) first, which at least gives you the envelope for the replacement. Now, the horn looks like a Selmer and it has a long upper loop, indicating a short neck, so this is leading me to trying a Selmer-style neck on it. First, I would have to confirm that there is no octave key involved. So, my plan of action would be to find some baritone players and let me try some necks. You will need a tuner, and there are free phone apps for this. Selmer-type necks from China are available on ebay for $30. I tried one because I needed a spare neck for a different mouthpiece with smaller shank bore, and it plays just as good as the original. As long as the neck on a baritone sax is pretty close, it should be close enough.

·
38,782 Posts
the company which is now Buffet Crampon has a very distant relation ship with the original company that made this. But it is worth a try.

this is a PR person working for the company

Sandra Serfati
Press Relations
[email protected]tions

·
7,398 Posts
Well, looks like you're out of luck. I found a 19xxx SDA and it does have an octave key on the neck, which also appears to be longer than a Selmer but shorter than a Conn. So, you will need an exact replacement.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,107 Posts
I am sure you already have, but just to be sure...

Have you thoroughly inspected the inside of the body tube to make sure it is not lodged inside? The relatively small size of bari necks means they can easily sneak around the bow and wedge themselves in the body.

It is a long shot, but worth mentioning!

·
7,398 Posts
Great suggestion - I intended to say it too but got sidetracked. It is very difficult to see inside a bari but a strong flashlight helps. Also an end cap can get in one and lodge in the loop. How great would it be to find that neck inside the horn and not have to go through hell to get a new one made?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your input, guys!

I'm aware of the fact that Buffet bari necks have an octave key, here's a photo that I found online:

View attachment 240302

@Milandro: thanks for suggesting the shop in Tilburg, I hadn't thought about that yet. Contacting the Buffet Crampon company might also be an option.

@cymry97: I actually don't have the horn in my possession at this moment. It's on its way from the US to Europe right now, when it arrives I'll definitely inspect the inside of the body tube to check if the neck is stuck somewhere.

·
2,002 Posts
I have a Buffet Crampon baritone that is marked as an S-1 but seems to be a transitional horn with some features of the SDA. It isn't the one reviewed by Steve Howard but is quite similar: http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Bari/Buffet_S1_bari.htm

I'm in the UK and would be happy to take lots of photos and accurate measurements for you and Karsten Gloger who has done neck work for me on other horns and is great. I wouldn't really be happy with sending him the neck itself but maybe you or he can borrow one locally.

Good luck.

Rhys

·
38,782 Posts
Rhys , as you probably know, Gloger describes on his site the way to measure the neck. This is indeed the second best thing to do and generous of you

Again, before eightstar does anything, I would check with the Blazers atelier. It is a shop that I have often recommended because they do incredible work especially on necks. They may (accent on this hypothetical) have the right measures.

Because of their location in the South of the Netherlands they may have been coming across Buffet products more than Gloger (who has measured dozens of saxophones but not all).

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: the horn apparantly got damaged during transport and has not been delivered to my adress. I received a refund through the eBay global shipping program, but it looks like I lost about 300 euros on import duties...:-(

·
38,782 Posts
How can you have been charged import duty if i wasn’t delivered to your address? Did you purchase with one of these pesky “ all in " services which charge you money for shipping and duty?

I have always paid duty upon arrival (at the door Post.nl) or a few days after with DHL and USPS.

Anyway, if you paid with paypal they should refund that too. Sorry, for your loss.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts