Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. Daughter is in her second year of High School, and playing the alto in both marching- and symphonic band. She's been playing a hand-me-down Belmonte (which looks to me to be a very cheap Selmer Paris knock-off) and I figured that it was time to get her into a little better horn. Been lurking around this and other forums for the past several months, and have found that another forum's discussion centering around a knowledgeable member's "approved" list to be most helpful. So, today, I was fortunate enough (I believe) to pick up this E-S alto for very little money. Horn is made in Italy, so while it does say Evette-Schaeffer on the bell, it does not say Paris. Serial number is 37XXX, which I believe puts the build date somewhere around 1985. Did I do well for the daughter? Will she be better served if I ditch this one and get her a Jupiter 869 that I was looking at? I just want to get her out of this beginner horn. Any help would be appreciated....but let's stick to these two horns. I know all about Yams, Yans, Keilwerths, et c, and their reputations. And prices. Thanks.

DW

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you want to know for sure, let your daughter try both. I know you said not to mention yamaha and I'm not sure what your price range is, but here is a yas 62 in excellent condition going for under 2k that also comes with a fantastic mouthpiece and lig http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YAS-...ultDomain_0&hash=item19c8246430#ht_500wt_1156

Both the saxophones you mentioned in your post are considered beginner models so the extra cash might be worth it to you for a pro model horn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you want to know for sure, let your daughter try both. I know you said not to mention yamaha and I'm not sure what your price range is, but here is a yas 62 in excellent condition going for under 2k that also comes with a fantastic mouthpiece and lig

Price becomes a consideration only due to the fact that, as a young woman in High School, 'other' diversions begin to come into play. Rather than commit large chunk of cabbage in the shape of a $2K horn, only to have her move in another direction (either as a result of hormones or her advanced studies) doesn't appeal Dad's sense of....um....frugality at this point. As such, I'm looking for an incrementally better horn than the one she's playing now. If, next year or so, she's still enthused about the music (as I hope she'll be), then we'll make the jump to a high-intermediate or pro-level horn at that time.

DW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd totally avoid Jupiter horns. Terrible instruments in my opinion.
Why so? Most of what I've read gives the models above the 600 series pretty glowing reviews, especially on a cost/benefit analysis. What have you encountered that I should know?

DW

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
The Evette is a bad choice. Real stinkers. You might as well keep what you have and keep your eyes open for a good horn.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
What is your price consideration? I've seen fantastic deals on very good Antigua winds horns (250). Vito pro models as low as 200 to 300. etc... Recently saw a vito (yanagisawa made) vsp Tenor (by all accounts a pro model horn) for 900.

You can get some really nice deals if you know which stencils to look for.

Also. Where are you? Do you have a trusted repairman or teacher or player that you know?
It's like buying a car except there are no lemon laws.

Jupiters can be nice horns but not much better if any then what you have already.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bought the E/S, and indeed, it is made in Italy. Took it to my local repair guy who said i did very well, notwithstanding the price. As a piece of additional info, he indicated that E/S had a number of their horns made by Grassi, under license. Puts the vintage of the sax as mid-60s. He's going to go over it, replace what needs to be replaced, regulate it, and it'll be good for go, "for many years" as he says.

DW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts