Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody!

I'm so excited right now, I just picked up a B991 and can't leave it alone! In the last couple weeks I decided to buy myself THE bari I've always wanted. Unfortunately I didn't know which one it was. After test driving a few horns at WWBW and really admiring a YBS-62 but cringing at the $6300 price tag I can home, hit ebay and saw a B991 right here in Indiana!

Did anyone else see this auction? The owner and I were trying to figure out what kept people away, any thoughts? Anyway, fortunately for me bidders did stay away while I established a dialog with the guy and we worked out a deal if it didn't sell. I played it this afternoon and knew I had the deal of a lifetime on this horn and I couldn't have asked for a better guy to deal with.

Interestingly he's had the horn for six years and has never had to have it adjusted, even new from WWBW. Next week, it's going in to my tech for a set-up and I can only imagine how it will play afterwards!

So for all you guys longing for a Vito/Yani B6, mine will be hitting the market soon (very soon actually, the 991 was a great deal, but...). Actually, this isn't officially for sale yet, but if you have an interest shoot me a PM.

I'm off to stare at the saxophone...

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,450 Posts
Could you please send me pictures (or a thorough verbal) of your B6 and an approximate asking price? Thanks. [email protected]

·
Registered
351 Posts
Y 992 Bari

I'm thinking of picking up a B992 bari...the 991 would be the same except for the brass vs. bronze difference....so, how's the ergonomics...the high F mechanism for example? And the tone quality...suitable for jazz ensemble?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,713 Posts
Congrats - it' better than you will probably appreciate for some time. Three of us - with an acummulated experience of about 100 years of playing - did a round robin test of baris that included over 15 prime baris of vintage and modern and concluded that the B992 was the top horn. Your 991 can do anything you will ever need.

Congrats. You can stop looking at other people's horns and wondering whether you will ever need something better. You don't. You're there.

Wylie - it's a superb jazz ensemble horn. Try it with a Lamberson 7SB if you want to save years of mouthpiece questing. Yes, there are a couple others that work great too but this scored highest in the most categories. A less versatile but equally great for jazz ensemble is the Barone Hollywood (yes, I'm talking bari 'pieces).

Oh yeah, following the bari shootout of several years ago, of both people there that tend to play bari more than anything else, each of them has a B992! I favor tenor else I would be hunting for one too.

·
Registered
560 Posts
cymru97 said:
Hey everybody!

I'm so excited right now, I just picked up a B991 and can't leave it alone! In the last couple weeks I decided to buy myself THE bari I've always wanted. Unfortunately I didn't know which one it was. After test driving a few horns at WWBW and really admiring a YBS-62 but cringing at the $6300 price tag I can home, hit ebay and saw a B991 right here in Indiana!

Did anyone else see this auction? The owner and I were trying to figure out what kept people away, any thoughts? Anyway, fortunately for me bidders did stay away while I established a dialog with the guy and we worked out a deal if it didn't sell. I played it this afternoon and knew I had the deal of a lifetime on this horn and I couldn't have asked for a better guy to deal with.

Interestingly he's had the horn for six years and has never had to have it adjusted, even new from WWBW. Next week, it's going in to my tech for a set-up and I can only imagine how it will play afterwards!

So for all you guys longing for a Vito/Yani B6, mine will be hitting the market soon (very soon actually, the 991 was a great deal, but...). Actually, this isn't officially for sale yet, but if you have an interest shoot me a PM.

I'm off to stare at the saxophone...
Congrats!! I had a similar experience when I found my Yanagisawa B901 on eBay. It was priced really cheap. When I received it, there was no indication as to whether it had been played (virtually new condition). I've been very satisfied with the B901. I play a tenor T992, and if I had the money I'd love to have that model in baritone. But the B901 serves me fine for my purposes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, I had gotten away from this post and apparantly never realized I got so many responses! Since my original post I had the horn into my tech and it was a jaw-dropping difference. Dr. G is right this horn is MORE than I will ever need. I think I have my B6 sold to a young family friend if he can afford it. Granted there are a lot of great baris out there, but I would never hesitate to play any model or any vintage that Yani has put out. The B6, VSP (901?), and this 991 have all been incredible.

I've mainly been using it for quartet work, but recently have been using it for rock and it seems to be extremely flexible and adaptable.

What a horn...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
yeah...since getting my B991 a couple years ago, I have stopped playing my other baris...sold my 12M, and never play my JK low A or my Couf Superba Bb (although I still use this for long outdoor gigs as it is so light and well-balanced)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts