Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a brand new(for me at least) used vito and while it could use some work it plays alright up and down, i bit hard to get out low C and High F but other than that it seems fine.

20190427_124607[1].jpg 20190427_124629[1].jpg 20190427_124638[1].jpg 20190427_124701[1].jpg 20190427_124709[1].jpg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,430 Posts
:cheers::cheers:Congratulations! Is this the one from Craig’s list you posted questions on last week? Looks clean and dent free. Did a case or that mouthpiece come with it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:cheers::cheers:Congratulations! Is this the one from Craig’s list you posted questions on last week? Looks clean and dent free. Did a case or that mouthpiece come with it?
yes it is, i came with a protec case but a ****** generic plastic mouthpiece, there is one dent inside the bell but it's small and i dont think it affects the sounds other than that the LOW C cover is missing a screw.

·
4,430 Posts
yes it is, i came with a protec case but a ****** generic plastic mouthpiece, there is one dent inside the bell but it's small and i dont think it affects the sounds other than that the LOW C cover is missing a screw.
Cool, maybe you could post your experience on your other thread. Keeping information current helps other first time buyers.
....interesting looking MP & lig. But hey it’s working on plastic reed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, maybe you could post your experience on your other thread. Keeping information current helps other first time buyers.
....interesting looking MP & lig. But hey it’s working on plastic reed.
Thanks, I completely forgot about the other thread in all the excitement, I went ahead and updated it

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right I was probably playing for around 4 or 5 hours straight just enjoying it ... now my jaw muscles(haven't used them properly in around 10 years) and bottom lip hurt.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
best i can tell its from early 2000' possible late 90's with the serial being 507xxx
when did the Vito saxes cease to be built? I know Beaugnier made the parts for the Kenosha saxes, and that Yamaha and Yanagisawa stenciled for them but who'd have made a tenor from the late 90s early 2000s? Be great to get an insight to your opinions of it's character coz' I'd like a Vito tenor myself.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when did the Vito saxes cease to be built? I know Beaugnier made the parts for the Kenosha saxes, and that Yamaha and Yanagisawa stenciled for them but who'd have made a tenor from the late 90s early 2000s? Be great to get an insight to your opinions of it's character coz' I'd like a Vito tenor myself.
According to this page it seems they were made up until at least the mid 2000's. As I play more and get over the hype I'll let you know what my opinions are of it, no point in letting my emotions cloud reality. From what I can tell though my serial number marks it as essentially a Yamaha YTS-23.

·
4,430 Posts
Right I was probably playing for around 4 or 5 hours straight just enjoying it ... now my jaw muscles(haven't used them properly in around 10 years) and bottom lip hurt.
Ok Lips Manlis Don’t get a bath from having to much fun.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
According to this page it seems they were made up until at least the mid 2000's. As I play more and get over the hype I'll let you know what my opinions are of it, no point in letting my emotions cloud reality. From what I can tell though my serial number marks it as essentially a Yamaha YTS-23.
I know about the Kenosha era Vitos and the (Yamaha / Yanagisawa) stencils of that time but know little about those that followed. It is reasonably simple to identify the Beaugnier builds but there are others - the later models I struggle to identify. I know some of the later Kenosha models were built on Nogales made (aka Mexicon) Conn bodies and even a few of these actually had the Director (aka Shooting Stars) engraving which I am sure many here have seen images of.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Just purchased a brand new(for me at least) used vito and while it could use some work it plays alright up and down, i bit hard to get out low C and High F but other than that it seems fine.
I've got one of those as a backup and "loaner". After setup, the thing actually plays great although the intonation is not perfect. Really nice sound.

·
Registered
175 Posts
best i can tell its from early 2000' possible late 90's with the serial being 507xxx

Maybe more likely 1990, according to this page (http://www.doctorsax.biz/Yamaha_Vito_History.htm).

Quoting from that page:

(Sudden Jump into 5XXXXX serials because the Vito
YAS-21 changes to YAS-23. The Vito 5XXXXX serial number Altos are
YAS-23 models. The YAS-21 has a removable bell, the YAS-23 has a
soldered bell-bow connection.)
1990 501098 510332

EDIT: oops, that's for altos, not tenors, and yours is a tenor -- sorry.

For what it's worth, the page also indicates that the 23 tenors stopped being made in '90, and the 25s began in '91:

Model Name Production Period Serial Number
AD-TS1 '02-
YTS-200AD '04-
YTS-100 '94-'02
YTS-21 '70-'80
YTS-23 '80-
YTS-25 '91-'01

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe more likely 1990, according to this page (http://www.doctorsax.biz/Yamaha_Vito_History.htm).

Quoting from that page:

(Sudden Jump into 5XXXXX serials because the Vito
YAS-21 changes to YAS-23. The Vito 5XXXXX serial number Altos are
YAS-23 models. The YAS-21 has a removable bell, the YAS-23 has a
soldered bell-bow connection.)
1990 501098 510332

EDIT: oops, that's for altos, not tenors, and yours is a tenor -- sorry.

For what it's worth, the page also indicates that the 23 tenors stopped being made in '90, and the 25s began in '91:

Model Name Production Period Serial Number
AD-TS1 '02-
YTS-200AD '04-
YTS-100 '94-'02
YTS-21 '70-'80
YTS-23 '80-
YTS-25 '91-'01
That page doesn't list an end year for the YTS-23 just a start year. and according to this page http://www.doctorsax.biz/vito_ser_nos.htm on Table 2 it lists the high serial Japanese vito's as being made in the 2000's

1 - 16 of 16 Posts