Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could've resist any longer and purchased this beauty this morning:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Selmer-Mar...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This is exactly the sax I would have ordered had I been alive back then... Very late model (so medium bow, improved intonation), silver plate, high f#, Paris-assembled. Love the red pads with the large metal resonators. These really late Mark VI's can be bright, so any recommendations for a darker mouthpiece to try (I play a mix of genres.... Jazz, classical, fusion, and even a little rock and blues).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
If you are concerned with late VI's being bright, you may find that this horn is even moreso with the oversize resos.

That is quite the range of genres for one mouthpiece to cover. Tell us what you are using on the horn, and how it responds, once you've had some play time on it, and then work from there. Otherwise, the recommendations will be all over the map, and worth every cent you pay for them (nothing).

Enjoy your new horn!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks- I'll post here once I've gotten some time to try it. I normally use a metal Otto Link, but I sold it a while ago to fund a new mouthpiece (that I haven't purchased yet) and am currently using an old Bamber Jazz, which is surprisingly good.

M

·
0 Posts
Just a suggestion. I also have a silver Mark Vi with 70K serial number. After 3 different mouthpieces I finally found a Retro Revival "New Yorker" Meyer copy [ medium bore]" and it really made my Mark VI sing. Contact Joel Peskin with Retro Revival and I believe there is a 15% discount he is offering now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
A Meyer-style alto piece is always a good place to start. And, if you get a good one that matches your needs, it is all you need.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just a suggestion. I also have a silver Mark Vi with 70K serial number. After 3 different mouthpieces I finally found a Retro Revival "New Yorker" Meyer copy [ medium bore]" and it really made my Mark VI sing. Contact Joel Peskin with Retro Revival and I believe there is a 15% discount he is offering now.
My case is quite similar to yours. I own a silver 5 digit Mark Vl too and I love my Retro Revival New York mouthpiece but sooner or later I always end up going back to play it with my Beechler Bellite. Anyway, wonderful sounding saxes!

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
or what Sig can do with a modern Babbitt? yeah, there's some familiar artisans who know their way around the classic Meyer sound.

·
Registered
15 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts