Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to order a Just Joe's strap today. He has a (new?) option for a wide slider that looks like it would might help distribute the weight of the horn, or it might be an unneccesarily complex addition.
Does anyone have a Joe's strap with the wide slider, and what do you think?

Thanks and have a great Tuesday.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,191 Posts
The original works fine for me - I have a 17" neck. It might be great if you have a build that needs the accommodation, but otherwise, I like the way that the original packs in a small space in my case.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems like the wider slider will add a bit of comfort, and also it rhymes, so that's what I ordered on my Joe's strap.
If I left now I could be at Joe's by closing time, but I will wait for it to come in the mail.

thanks for your input. Everything I have read about these on the forum has been positive.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It seems like the wider slider will add a bit of comfort, and also it rhymes, so that's what I ordered on my Joe's strap.
If I left now I could be at Joe's by closing time, but I will wait for it to come in the mail.

thanks for your input. Everything I have read about these on the forum has been positive.
I just bought a Cebulla strap with the wide slider and really like it alot. It does distribute the weight well and feels like the strap is totally out of the way when I'm playing

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just bought a Cebulla strap with the wide slider and really like it alot. It does distribute the weight well and feels like the strap is totally out of the way when I'm playing
Do you mostly play standing up or sitting? I have been using the SaxHolder Pro and sometimes the Vandoren thing. Other than being a bit orthopedic they are OK for playing standing up. They take the weight of the horn (tenor and bari) off my neck, but playing seated is getting to be unpleasant.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Do you mostly play standing up or sitting? I have been using the SaxHolder Pro and sometimes the Vandoren thing. Other than being a bit orthopedic they are OK for playing standing up. They take the weight of the horn (tenor and bari) off my neck, but playing seated is getting to be unpleasant.
Both, and I've found it very comfortable to use when sitting. When it first arrived I was skeptical, because I thought the wide slider would be annoying and clunky, but (at least for me) I found that it really gets the strap out of the way and makes holding the horn more comfortable. FWIW, the Joe's slider looks very similar to the Cebulla one. Everyone's mileage will vary of course.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,095 Posts
I switched from one of the Original Just Joe's straps to a Boston Sax Shop Newbury Deluxe strap because of the wider bar on the BSS strap. The BSS strap has been excellent and seems very similar to the JJ strap I have, just with a wider bar. I think I have a slight preference for the padding material in the JJ strap, so if I were buying today, I'd do the wide slider version, but they seem similar enough not to be worth paying another $90.

I bet it's a really nice strap, though!

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have the original Just Joe's strap, best investment I ever made and have played many gigs and hours with it. I also have the Boston Sax Shop Newbury and I do like it , but feel the padding could be better for the neck (just my opinion) . I do think the wider slider is a great idea (I am on the thin side) and it keeps the weight of the tenor further spread out. The new Just Joe's looks like a great combination of padding and the wider slider .

·
Banned
YAS-875EX, YTS-61, YBS-52, YFL-677, YCL-SEVR
39 Posts
I had somehow never heard of these straps until I saw your post yesterday, then showed up to my gig and three of my fellow sax players had them. Don't know how I avoided them for this long, but definitely looking into them.

Reactions: Frankmsax

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I had somehow never heard of these straps until I saw your post yesterday, then showed up to my gig and three of my fellow sax players had them. Don't know how I avoided them for this long, but definitely looking into them.
I've managed to avoid them simply by looking a the price. I'm sure it's a great product, but no strap is worth $100 to me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,095 Posts
The wide bar is really nice. I don't get along with most harnesses since they feel like they put the horn in a relatively fixed location. I know the wide strap doesn't take the weight off of my neck, but it does reduce that squeeze from the strap around the sides of the neck, which I just find so much more comfortable when playing. I know different people's necks expand different amounts when they play, so maybe that isn't as big a deal for some people.

Also, though, I've had a lot of time to think about stupid crap like neckstraps this last year change...maybe my interest in these things will wane a bit now that I'm not home alone more or less 100% of the time.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've managed to avoid them simply by looking a the price. I'm sure it's a great product, but no strap is worth $100 to me.
I have to respectfully disagree. It was still one of the better investments I made. After coming home from many gigs after standing with the weight of a tenor on my neck, it eliminated all the neck pain and discomfort I used to get. If I were playing more in a sitting position, it probably wouldn't matter as much. All the other straps I used in the past (including the Neotech straps, were not as good as the Just Joe's .

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree. It was still one of the better investments I made. After coming home from many gigs after standing with the weight of a tenor on my neck, it eliminated all the neck pain and discomfort I used to get. If I were playing more in a sitting position, it probably wouldn't matter as much. All the other straps I used in the past (including the Neotech straps, were not as good as the Just Joe's .
Decades of using a neck strap eventually caught up with me when I started playing bass sax. Messed up the nerves in my spine big time. Even a Just Joe’s clone wouldn’t work. When I switched to a shoulder harness, the damaged was reversed within a month. The key for me was getting ALL the weight off my neck, not just redistributing it.

I’m glad Joe’s works well for most people. I’m simply not willing to pay that much for something that still can’t solve my problem.

Not a fan of Neotech either. Too stretchy.

·
34,191 Posts
Decades of using a neck strap eventually caught up with me when I started playing bass sax. Messed up the nerves in my spine big time. Even a Just Joe’s clone wouldn’t work. When I switched to a shoulder harness, the damaged was reversed within a month. The key for me was getting ALL the weight off my neck, not just redistributing it.
Even a harness is just redistributing the weight - it has to go somewhere. Posture is especially important to protect your lower back, regardless of neck strap.

(This message brought to you by a guy that has suffered from back injuries for over 30 years, endured back surgery, and now has three more vertebrae and discs in decline.)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Even a harness is just redistributing the weight - it has to go somewhere. Posture is especially important to protect your lower back, regardless of neck strap.

(This message brought to you by a guy that has suffered from back injuries for over 30 years, endured back surgery, and now has three more vertebrae and discs in decline.)
Yeah, but it takes ALL of the weight off the neck and onto the back which is MUCH more robust, with proper posture as you said.

Luckily no surgery for me since I was able to fix it before permanent damage was done. But it was definitely caused by 17 lbs hanging from my neck. No amount of cushy gel, gap in the middle or slider width can mitigate that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am to the point where I can't take the weight of my tenor hanging off my neck for very long. It makes a big difference for me to transfer the weight to my shoulders.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I say, we should all stop being humans! Humans are too damn frail, especially when it comes to doing anything we really enjoy. Of course, we can't be dogs, either, because they're prone to all the maladies that humans are. What the hell can we be? There has to be something........or does there?
Never mind!

·
34,191 Posts
I say, we should all stop being humans! Humans are too damn frail, especially when it comes to doing anything we really enjoy. Of course, we can't be dogs, either, because they're prone to all the maladies that humans are. What the hell can we be? There has to be something........or does there?
Never mind!
There is something else, but it doesn't matter 'cause it doesn't play tenor sax.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts