Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just got this Reynolds Alto Sax. Anyone know what model this is? All that is engraved on it is "Reynolds" and the serial number 216950. Is it a decent sax... good enough for a kid to learn on? I am not a player.

Thank you.

ironwood

IMG_6736.JPG

IMG_7952.JPG

IMG_9413.JPG

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Well, what is most important is the condition, not the make/model. Given that you don't play and thus couldn't test it, and one of the key pearls is visibly missing, plus it appears to be in the case without the end plug that keeps the mechanism from being damaged, I would suspect that it is not in "ready to play" condition. At best the missing key pearl needs replacing (not very expensive) and at least you can expect some pads need replacing and some adjustment to the mechanism. At worst it might need all the pads replaced and more extensive mechanical repairs. From the pictures it doesn't look particularly beat up.

As to quality, I'm not sure who made this particular instrument, it is not one of the old ones made by King but rather a recent production instrument as you can tell by the laser etched name. It is probably a mid-grade to lower-grade student instrument. If properly brought into playing condition, it would be just fine for a beginner. If not properly brought into playing condition, then it should not be given to a student.

Kids in marching bands use thousands of horns of this quality level, so that their higher quality instruments don't get all beat up or rained on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts