Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to let you guys know that this site helped me pick out a new soprano that works really well AND saved a lot of dough. I appreciate all of your information!:D

·
Registered
647 Posts
Congrats!!!

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
That's great. Hope you enjoy playing. Be patient but remember to enjoy it even from the start. If you run in to problems there's lots of good info in this forum that may help you. All the best.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Manda -

I received my new Antigua soprano from Kessler Music on Tuesday. I got the 586BC (Black). Which model did you get?

Frank

·
Registered
562 Posts
Nice

Frank: That's a nice sax! You will enjoy it. My wife is crazy about that sax. she doen't want me to sell it. Mayho

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Shhhhhhh... My wife doesn't know about it yet...:shock:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Same here Manda. After all I read around here, I got a 590BC and I've been really happy with it. I kind of wish I had actually gotten the 586 though, because I never use the G key.

I sat it on the bell on the floor one evening when I was about to play, and as I reached for a mouthpiece to put on it, I knocked it over. It wasn't really damaged, but a post or two got slightly bent so I had to take it to a tech to get it adjusted. He was impressed with the build quality - he characterized it as "almost a real Yanagisawa."

Good luck with it (you too Frank).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Rabbit: I know you asked Mr. Beane, but I've played my 590LQ against Tom Mayho's 586BC and they sounded exactly the same. DAVE

·
Registered
73 Posts
rabbit said:
How would you describe your tone on that 590BC?
I haven't played too many other sopranos, so it's hard for me to compare it. To me it definitely sounds brighter and punchier than the Martin Handcraft.

But if you were asking about it compared to a 586, I'd say it's probably very similar; as I understand it, the 586 is a 590 without the G key.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
David Beane said:
...as I understand it, the 586 is a 590 without the G key.
You are correct, sir.

Mayho said:
Frank: That's a nice sax! You will enjoy it. My wife is crazy about that sax. she doen't want me to sell it.
Thanks Tom. In a roundabout way, you're the reason I bought the 586. Dave told me he had played it against his 590 and other sops, and it compared well.

And Dave - thanks for the advice. So far, I'm loving the horn. I need some work on my soprano chops, but it will get there.

Frank

·
Registered
562 Posts
Good luck frank. Mayho

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Wow!!!!!

I brought the 586 to band practice tonight. The acoustics are great in the place we practice in. Wow, does the Antigua sing!! It sounded a thousand times better than it does at home. My section leader complimented me on my tone and control over the horn. It felt great!

Interestingly, I don't sense the same difference with my alto; not nearly that much of a difference between home and our practice location.

Me likey!

Frank

1 - 17 of 17 Posts