Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd been on the market for a 1951 SBA and Paul Tucker at DC Sax mentioned this one to me last night before he listed it. I just pulled the trigger! I could not be more thrilled- I almost feel bad that I'm planning on playing the crud out of it instead of displaying it for posterity's sake. It's like I walked into a music store in 1951 and purchased it new. Saxquest told me they got it from a mom and pop store just outside Paris. Selmer delivered the horn to them in '51 straight from the factory and they decided to hold onto it instead of selling it. When Saxquest purchased it from them, it was still wrapped in the original factory shipping paper and was a time capsule. George Bunk did the overhaul and all it needed were new pads, felt, cork, and some oiling, so the keywork, tone holes, etc. are in factory-original condition. It still has the original factory setup and springs. Now I've got to sell my '74 Mark VI to help make back the cost... :p

https://www.dcsax.com/products/47-x...xophone-mint-condition?variant=12711697743935

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
I'm so sorry its in such bad shape and has clearly not been taken care of. I hate seeing sax players have to deal with such lousy equipment.
Just a horrible looking horn, and I hope you are able to upgrade at some point. :)

HOLY COW---IS THAT GOREGEOUS!

CONGRATS!!!!!!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,883 Posts
I'd been on the market for a 1951 SBA and Paul Tucker at DC Sax mentioned this one to me last night before he listed it. I just pulled the trigger! I could not be more thrilled- I almost feel bad that I'm planning on playing the crud out of it instead of displaying it for posterity's sake. It's like I walked into a music store in 1951 and purchased it new. Saxquest told me they got it from a mom and pop store just outside Paris. Selmer delivered the horn to them in '51 straight from the factory and they decided to hold onto it instead of selling it. When Saxquest purchased it from them, it was still wrapped in the original factory shipping paper and was a time capsule. George Bunk did the overhaul and all it needed were new pads, felt, cork, and some oiling, so the keywork, tone holes, etc. are in factory-original condition. It still has the original factory setup and springs. Now I've got to sell my '74 Mark VI to help make back the cost... :p
Well done looks lovely, these are beautiful horns. I'm wondering though, if it was mint (ie still in the original wrapping) why would it need a repad, corks and felt?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like any biological product, adhesives, leather pads, etc. age and decay even when not in use. If you were to get a horn overhauled and leave it unplayed in a closet for a few years, it would no longer be in perfect working order when you took it back out. Now imagine leaving it in the closet for nearly 70 years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure, why not? If I had spent a similar price on a brand new Ref. 54 would I leave it at home? These things were made to be played.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow!!!!!!! I hope that plays as nice as it looks! That horn is stunning!!!!!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,005 Posts
These things were made to be played.
+1. I'm with you csacwp! Take it on all your gigs and play the daylights out of it. What a beautiful horn and it deserves to be played, not just looked at.

·
Registered
166 Posts
+2

That sax should be played and played! Absolutely stunning. Congrats.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
I got excited and then saw it was an alto....
I had an alto as mint as this stolen from me never to be seen again.
It still bothers me. These horns are so easy to play and don’t have the resistance of a Mark VI.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,853 Posts
Incredible horn. You can't just let this thing sit there and be beautiful. You have to play it and enjoy it. I regret selling my SBA years ago. Never found another alto that I could bond with or play as well as with that horn.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is my first SBA. I'm coming from a Mark VI with great intonation. What should I expect from this SBA, and is there a scientific way to test the intonation? I'm going to have the horn on approval for 7 days.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts