Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having wierd tuning issues with this 48' Committee, maybe it was bumped around in shipping? The low notes are sharp. I think the high octave and palm notes are better. When the high octave plays in tune the low d is way out of tune. I am using a Runyon Custom 7 mpc. Do I need a larger bore mpc?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,826 Posts
first of all try another reed....then check for leaks.....check that all the vents are opening....check the height the opening of the vents......

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
milandro said:
first of all try another reed....then check for leaks.....check that all the vents are opening....check the height the opening of the vents......
Isn't the runyon custom too small-bore for the Martin? I think the mouthpiece wasnt on the cork enough, I had to shave it down. I can't test it yet but I have a feeling the runyon custom may not be an ideal match anyway. What bore shape mpc does the Martin prefer?

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the horn playing in tune with itself by pulling the mouthpiece out a lot, however now it plays 20-30 cents flat on every note! Whats going on? This is with a Brilhart Tonalin which I know should be a good match.

·
Registered
137 Posts
check your key height. If it's set up with the keys too close to the body of the horn the horn will play flat - until you play the low end. I just had the same issues with my Yanagisawa after an overhaul. My tech mis-measured. I'm sure someone around here has the measurements for your horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,826 Posts
my martin tends to offer less control with big chamber mouthpieces such as STM Link and works well with almost anything medium and small chambered ones. After many try outs I've settled for a Selmer S80, but it is not yet wat I want. I believe the height of your keys might just be too close.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had a CII alto for several months (I'm not as new to sax as I was before). It was quirky but an awesome horn. I used a large chamber mouthpiece on it. That was no problem. In fact the large chamber complemented the horn a lot.
It took me about 3 weeks to get the low notes out without being sharp. I found that I had to use a slightly different embouchure with the CII than I'd been using on the Yamaha 62 II I had. I kept working at the low notes, and used a tuner like incessantly. It worked and the thing sang! If it's not the things mentioned above, it could be that.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea maybe its the key heights. The custom actually sounds great and it's playing in tune with itself just fine. I'll have to take it in...

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
the mpc needed to be pulled out some but the rest was just embouchure. Seems fine now. :) (using the Runyon.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts