Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got an old King Bari sax that the best I can tell was made in 1925-1930.
The bell engraving says:
King
Made by
THE
H.N. WHITE
C.O.
Clev'd
And the back is engraved:
No. 1.549.911
PAT'D 8-18-25
90XXX
Besides a little spring work and a few pads, I don't think it'll take all that much to bring her back into very playable condition. I can currently get a lot out of her and I like how she sounds.

It didn't come with a case, but I may have trouble finding one that will fit. This bari has a fixed neck (I didn't know such a thing existed until now), not a removable neck like every bari I've ever seen. A case would have to accommodate that.

Is anyone aware of a case that will work for this horn?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
bam caases are great for bari
costly but good

edit: oh, sorry, didnt notice, fixed neck,

maybe try the gig bags, they sometimes work for fixed neck baris.

·
Administrator
13,993 Posts
Bam cases are indeed fantastic, but I don't know that they make one that will accommodate a fixed neck bari. You might have to do a little surgery on the interior of any case selected by removing a bit and rebuilding the support in the neck area of the interior foam to get a perfect fit for this horn.

Since these King Improved bari models are not too terribly popular or common, I don't think any contemporary case manufacturers make a case specifically for your horn.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even if a bag had the room for the neck, I'd be worried if it didn't have some rigid protection. The neck is rather vulnerable sticking out like it does.

·
Administrator
13,993 Posts
That is why I suggest finding a case that will accommodate a split bell key bari (NOT a gig bag, these are worthless as far as protection goes), and reconstructing the neck area of the case by cutting away and rebuilding that area of the foam to support the fixed neck.

Some of the older cases are rather roomy (such as the Anvil type), and if you are willing to take the interior out and rebuild it with rigid foam to the shape of the horn, you will have a perfect fit.

Unfortunately you may find this the best course of action for this oldie.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found one maker that advertises a case that fits this horn.
DEG
Baritone Saxophone Case, wood, King Baritone, with draw latches
SC29K

King baritone sax case. Features and specifications same as C20-SC27 except exterior dimensions 42"Lx17"Wx9"D. Accommodates low Bb and low A models, permanent or removable neck models, King Super 20. Weight 20 lbs.
This might be my only option, short of cu$tom.

·
Administrator
13,993 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised they make one for that model. That should save you a lot of grief!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, if it turns out to be true. I'm gonna take a bunch of measurements and send them to DEG to confirm it will fit.

In the mean time, anyone need I ProTec contoured bari case that I bought before doing all my homework? ;)

·
Administrator
13,993 Posts
BTW Rowka,

Not to drag this thread off course, but what are your impressions of your early King Improved bari's intonation?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, when I got it it needed some work so it's in the shop right now. Nothing major. It was in surprisingly playable condition but needed some repair to the octave mech, a few springs and a few pads.
The notes I could play sounded rich and full. Very nice. The intonation seemed pretty good, but because of the work it needed I really couldn't be too critical.
I'll be able to give it a good run soon (hopefully Friday or Monday).

·
Administrator
13,993 Posts
The reason I asked is because I have examples of the Alto and Tenor, and have played the C-Melody King improved models, but never the King Improved model Bari. These are nice playing Kings, although very much maligned.

I certainly love the Zephyr and Super 20 Models in my collection too.

Cheers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,466 Posts
I use a DEG case for my old Conn bari and it's a solid, no frills case. Heavy though, as it has a wood frame. The one for the curved TT soprano is a bit more manageable.

·
Administrator
13,993 Posts
Many complain about intonation troubles with the King Improved, and certainly the later Voll models, but I haven't had this issue above and beyond any of it's contemporary make/models of sax. The keywork has a few little quirks that irritate the techs, including the "corkscrew" G# mechanism that send some off too.

Of course I use, and favor, my Zephyr and Super 20 examples much more. The NW I, TT, and HC of the same period doubtless have an edge in some areas, but I rather like these early Kings. Nice horns for little money.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Your King Bari

King baris are great I have a zephyr 242xxx, which fits perfectly in a pro tec case. My concert mpc is a rousseau #7 and for jazz I use a meyer 7m. Keep in touch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need King Bari octave help

I have a 1927 hn white King Bari, monster sound, though intonation is a bit iffy and some of the mechanisms, as stated here, are archaic. I need help with the octave mech. Any suggestions? Digital images?

·
Administrator
13,993 Posts
Hi Bruce,

Pot metal? I have many Kings (some the King Improved from the mid/late 1920's), and NONE have pot metal keys. They are all either solid brass or nickel metal.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts