Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I check this forum every day but have not contributed in quite awhile. I thought that what I have done in the past week or so, might be of interest to some of you. This may get lengthy. For the passed few years, I have been playing a Son of Slant 8L mouthpiece. It is a really good mouthpiece but it does have a few quirks that bother me. I have tried a few others with some improvement but not enough to satisfy me. I always liked the Otto Links tone but never owned a good one, though I tried.
A couple of weeks ago I was at a friends house for friendly get together and met another sax player. He claimed that the new Ottos have been improved and are worth a try.
On Christmas my Grandson, not knowing what to give me, gave a gift card from Amazon, in the amount to cover the cost of a new Rubber Otto Link 8*. I live very close to their warehouse so I got it in 2 days.
Today is Monday after Christmas and I have spent 3 hours with Son of Slant, Otto Link, 2 ligatures, 4 different reeds and 2 plastic reeds. First plastic reed is a Bari. Never found anything that it worked on. Second plastic reed is a Legere Signature. It works just great on the Son of slant. Otto hates it, only plays in the middle, not at the High or low notes. Otto loves Java red box reeds. Plays from Low Bb to high F, without any quirks. Tone of the 2 mouthpieces is very close with the Otto being a little warmer, Maybe.
Close inspection shows that Otto's curve to be a little longer and tip opening very close. Son=108, Otto=110.
Conclusion: If I want to use a Legere reed, I play Son of Slant. If I want to play JAVA reeds, I use the Otto Link. Ligatures made no difference.
This all might change over time but for now. That is the way it will be.

Looks like the guy I met was right.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have always had good experience buying Otto Links. Many complain about their quality control, but every Link I have ever bought plays well. I have Links for alto, tenor, and baritone: Metal, Hard rubber: vintage, new vintage; tip openings from 3 to 10*: they all play. Either I'm just lucky, or maybe some folks exaggerate on the negative side.

Anyway, congratulations on your new piece. A new piece is always fun.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
I have always had good experience buying Otto Links. Many complain about their quality control, but every Link I have ever bought plays well. I have Links for alto, tenor, and baritone: Metal, Hard rubber: vintage, new vintage; tip openings from 3 to 10*: they all play. Either I'm just lucky, or maybe some folks exaggerate on the negative side.

Anyway, congratulations on your new piece. A new piece is always fun.
My experiences have been similar.
Never had a Link that didn’t play.
I’ve preferred some over others but they all played.
There’s a lot of garbage spread online about Links and quality issues.
Much of it spread by those who have never even played one.
Sometimes you need to to play a few to find one that suits your tastes, that’s all.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2016
12,065 Posts
My experiences have been similar.
Never had a Link that didn’t play.
I’ve preferred some over others but they all played.
There’s a lot of garbage spread online about Links and quality issues.
Much of it spread by those who have never even played one.
Sometimes you need to to play a few to find one that suits your tastes, that’s all.
I think the same can be said of Bergs, I've had lots over the years and they all played. Some better than others.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had a metal 8* for tenor for 20 years (bought new at the time) and while I don't play it regularly anymore it's a great piece to come back to from time to time. Plays very well, I just like a bit more edge. Have they changed design since?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
The new vintage HR pieces have a smaller chamber(although not a small chamber) than the standard HR pieces. They also don't have that dip right behind the tip baffle. So the NV project more. As for the metal pieces they have introduced a Florida model that I think is pretty much the same as a standard metal OL but with added baffle. Not high baffle just more baffle.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I just picked up a metal Link NY 6* on a trade. Plays and sounds fantastic with a Jazz Select 2H and Rovner lig. I started back playing years ago on a NY 7* and then went on a neurotic mpc(and horn) safari that just took me full circle. The only question is, will it play loud enough for me to use it in the ensemble I was playing in a while back. At that point, I was on a refaced HR Link and my teacher said he couldn't hear me in the group. Had to blow that piece hard to be heard. I think this metal NY does sound louder and clearer so hopefully it'll work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Curious as to how the 8* compares to my 5* Link HR. Mine tends to close up when overblown, and yes the issue of not enough volume is there, but I sure do love its warm, deept tone ala Dexter Gordon.
Does the bigger tip opening equate to a much more flexible range - low to high notes?

·
Registered
977 Posts
I have several TEs & Stms, all modern refaced. My best TE is a 10e Bp7 refaced to 8* by Mr Bunte. I'm just getting up to speed on it as I'm still feeling the effects of Bells' Palsy from 3 yrs ago. I like the feel & sound of harder reeds so I'm using Rigotti 3.5 light, & it has good balance of sound to power. My Stm is .110 per Mojo & it's is a good example. It takes some time to find the right Link but the right ones sound good.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I have been playing this mouthpiece since just after Christmas. It now has plenty of hours on it. I am completely satisfied with it.

I ran across an RG by Otto Link at a give away price. Bought it just out of curiosity. .108 Tip opening, 7mm roll over baffle the 27mm drop off into the bore. Bore is just a touch smaller than a standard Link. Workmanship and finish is perfect. It looks like a rubber version of a metal mouthpiece. Ligature was a problem. But since I also play clarinet, I found that one of the ligatures fit just fine. I spent several hours playing with it. It played every reed I had on hand and did it well from low Bb to high F. Then I put The mouthpiece away, probably for good. Tone was not to my liking. Had a buzz to it and the only time I would ever use it. Is if I wanted to peel the paint off the walls. Curiosity satisfied. So back to my Otto Link 8*. Stay safe folks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts