Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone! Sorry for this long rant but I am really confused about my audition outcomes and I would like your advice.

I have just completed two auditions; one for UCI and the other for UCLA. Each audition had way different outcomes, unfortunately.

My UCI audition was a week before my UCLA audition, which was today, and it went well. I arrived at the campus, checked in and went to the practice room. My time soon arrived and I was feeling confident. As i walked into the room, I was meet by both the head of the jazz department and the saxophone instructor. They asked me what pieces I was to play, Naima and St.Thomas, and if I had an accompanist. I did not so the head of the jazz program hopped on the keys and I began to play Naima.

It went so well. I played so well with the piano player, we just clicked. It was the best I have ever performed that song. The rest of the audition went great as well and ended with a discussion about how their program would help me grow.

So now on to my UCLA audition. It started the same way and I was feeling great until I sat down outside the audition room and heard another tenor player just killing it. My nerves began to act up and soon it was my turn, which was half an hour later than it should of been; they were really behind schedule.

I entered the room, took notice of the rhythm section, whom i presume were current students, and then saw the judging comity. Kenny Burrell was one of them I was slightly star struck when I saw him. I introduced my self, giving insight into who I am not only as a musician but also as a person and told them the pieces I was going to perform.

I let the rhythm section know Naima is up first and I am so ready to get the song going. I count it off and then disaster struck; forr some reason I had a different tempo in my head than i actually counted of and the rhythm section and I were not together at all. I tried to get back on, giving glances and the drummer and piano player trying to establish a temp but nothing helped.

Kenny Burrell stopped the song. He told me to count again and I did but this time I sung the melody to the rhythm section and then we started. It was together this time and the piece went well but not great.

St.Thomas was next and the song was going well but the drummer began to rush at the end of the head. It through me off but I soon got back into the groove. I was having such a hard time playing with this rhythm section; it was so hard to communicate. Next I was expecting to sight read, as the audition guidelines stated but they said I did not need to. This sent mixed messages. I can see this as either they knew I know how to play changes and did not need to see me demonstrate it or I did not do well enough up to that point and sight reading would just waste their time.

That slightly discouraged me until one of the judges came out of the room and began to speak with my mother and I about my playing. He began saying that I have great talent, great emotion and I am going to go far with my playing. He said all this in Spanish for some reason. This was also a mixed message. I do not know if he felt sorry for me and was just trying to comfort me or was he actually being honest?

As of now I really do not have a good feeling if I am going to get in or not due to all of these things that I am not understand. My saxophone teacher, who teaches at UCLA, told me not to worry about it and that we will have good news in March but I'm still worrying!! Should I?

·
Registered
562 Posts
No. BTW I grew up near the intersection of Amar RD. and California AVE. Mayho

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Don't worry about it, but don't forget that you are in a very big club - those whom the unknown effects. Ask anyone who's had to wait for bad news for days or weeks and they'll tell you that the news itself wasn't nearly as stressful as the waiting. There's no fear like the fear of the unknown. Keep in mind that anything you project in your mind will have absolutely no effect on the outcome of the audition. Worrying about it, or forgetting about it, won't make any difference . . . except to you. You can let this stress take over your mind and emotions and it'll eat you from the inside out. Look into some stress management: exercise, better diet, meditation, etc. Keep busy doing positive things.

Regarding your auditions, the first was low keyed and it's also possible that the instructor accompanying you was working with you regarding tempo, etc. At UCLA, you blew the first tempo. So what? It happens. It would have been better IMO if you and not Kenny had stopped the group and restarted, but he was just giving you a fresh start. If the drummer was really rushing (and it wasn't being perceived by you because of your heightening stress) you can be sure that the jury members heard it. These guys are not rummys. It might have even worked to your benefit if they heard you adjusting.

And if your teacher is on the staff at UCLA and both he and the Spanish-speaking juror spoke highly of you, you should take that as real encouragement. And one of these days, when you've calmed down, spend a little time thinking about how good the worse-case basis will be for you. You go to UCI, have faculty who are comfortable and impressed with you and likely will show you some more attention you may not even get at UCLA. And you can get your academics out of the way at UCI, woodshed a lot, keep up your contacts with UCLA and then you would probably have a very good chance of transferring for your upper class years. Life is good. You can't loose. :bluewink:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments! I'll try my best not to dwell on it, it is just kind of hard knowing I could and have done better. As far as the whole drummer rushing thing, he actually apologized right after the tune for that small funky moment, and not the good funk.

@mayho: That is pretty close to were I live! Pretty close to my school as well.
@gary: "Life is good. You can't loose." This brought my spirit up, thank you.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
. . . it is just kind of hard knowing I could and have done better.
This might make you feel a little better, yet. After performing a short set, I came off the stage and, seeing Dino Govoni, I said that I wasn't satisfied with my solos. Know what he said? "Hell Gary, I'm never satisfied with mine." Check him out at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kswsJiWKa_Y (solo at around 3:30)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts