Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
the manual is just a printed version of the F1 file.

the sibelius referance can be found in the top right drop down menu. if it isn't there you might not have installed or uzipped the manual.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Manuel? Manuel? We don' need no stinking Manuel, right Poncho?

Keith - I went ahead and bought the hard copy of the manual for around thirty bucks or so. It's huge, but sometimes, I want a book vs web page, so I can browse more easily, or carry it into rooms other than where my computer is. If you go to the Sibelius site, you can order it, if you want. http://shop.avid.com/store/product.do?product=306613744575680

·
Registered
164 Posts
You might want to take a look at this book if you are interested in investing in a reference. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1287771322&pf_rd_i=283155 . There is now a second edition that is supposed to be up to date, so the complaints about that should no longer be a concern. Of course it will cover the complete version of the program, so it may go into more depth than you are interested in and will probably cover features not present in Sibelius First.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts about the program after you have some time with it. I fooled around with a friend's Sibelius 4 program some time ago and it seemed pretty good, but more in depth than I need. I am looking for something just to do lead sheets. I downloaded MuseSore (which is free) and have been playing with that, but have been considering Sibelius First or Finale Print Music.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I found the drop down question box and I will do their "projects" to learn. I want to do some big band work. K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
Thinking of getting Sibelius...after you enter something in Sibelius will it play back for you?
I want to put some of my transcriptions up, but I need to clean them up.

·
27,650 Posts
Thinking of getting Sibelius...after you enter something in Sibelius will it play back for you?
It does just about everything but run out and get a pizza and litre of Coke so you can keep working. ;-)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
It does just about everything but run out and get a pizza and litre of Coke so you can keep working. ;-)
I think I got it to dial the pizza delivery number once. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,324 Posts
I think I got it to dial the pizza delivery number once. :)
Yes, but since it is a British product, it always wants to order haggis on top!

BOT - I just ordered my upgrade to Sib 6.2, and it is great. I was going to wait for v7, but they are selling 6.2 upgrades for 50% off till mid-February.

·
27,650 Posts

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Yes, but since it is a British product, it always wants to order haggis on top!

BOT - I just ordered my upgrade to Sib 6.2, and it is great. I was going to wait for v7, but they are selling 6.2 upgrades for 50% off till mid-February.
It used to be a Scandinavian product. and would order lutefisk on top!

I'll be on the lookout for Sib 7. It's about time I upgraded from 5.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From just doing a simple 16 bar segment it seems great. I know I should do the two handed number pad and mouse but I'm doing the old fashioned mouse click routine. So, what would my upgrade cost??? Cool program. K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,324 Posts
Not sure if you can upgrade from Sibelius First to the Pro version. Here is the link to their products page.
http://shop.avid.com/store/category.do?category=avid-sibelius&facet=type_score-editing

You might call and ask what your options are. I started with Sibelius 1.0 back in the mid 90's. I upgraded to v3, v5 and v6 over the years. The first two times it cost me about $99, although the recent upgrade to v6 was only $65. I suspect that the current sale means that v7 is just around the corner.

I started out doing simple 3 horn arrangements, but I've been doing a lot of big band stuff over the past few years. The really great thing is the ability to import midi files to create an arrangement. If I get a request from a bride for a first dance song I don't know, I can usually find a midi on the net and create an arrangement in a couple of hours.

·
27,650 Posts
Not sure if you can upgrade from Sibelius First to the Pro version.
OOoooops. I misread Keith's title, my bad. My comments refer only to the full-blown version of Sibelius, not any scaled-down versions. Sorry for the confusion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts