Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
I know that Erik Grieffenhagen has done his double-chamber conversion on some links, and added some baffle to make 'em really yell. I think he quoted me $130 or so for that conversion (though you'd have to ask him -- its been a while, and I can't remember exactly). I got plenty of bite out of the horn using a STM link with a good size tip (.115), but your mileage may vary. Other large chamber potential mpcs may include Wanne's Durga (I haven't tried it on that or any other horn, but the tenor version has a nice large chamber.

Jacques on here had good luck with a mouthpiece extension on a Berg on a same-model horn (1930's troubadour style). Mojobari can make an extension, he's said, so you could keep playing your favorite piece.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I only played my EG modified Tone Edge on modern barys, but it does whisper when I choose and yell when I need :)
Thanks Eric,and thanks Brian for the "floridised" STM I use on my '60s S1 tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
467 Posts
I had one of these for a while. It sounded great, but mine didn't really like high baffle mouthpieces. I would try the largest chamber piece you can get enough umph from.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
467 Posts
I think I might have used a Jody Jazz plastic/rubber piece (the one with the removable spoiler), with the spoiler removed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
I have a couple Selmer Paris ebony mouthpieces. They have a super large chamber. They are table B so they would need to be opened up for more modern type work, but the chamber is huge, which will take those older baris that tend to be sharper with modern pieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,016 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,999 Posts
I have both an rpc 105r and an EG double chamber b75- both great.
For extra grunt, try the metalite.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
+1 for Erik Grieffenhagen and his double chamber modification. Trust me, you could experiment with many things, but if you want to do it right the 1st time - contact Erik

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
get a Metalite. $25. Can't be beat.See the "Metalite fan" thread http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?61067-Rico-Royal-Metalite-Fans!
IMHO, IMHO, IMHO... The Rico Metalite's weakness is the small chamber. I've been using Rico mouthpieces on my Martin bari for years, but the chambers on mine have been greatly enlarged. Without modification, I find that these pieces cause nasty intonation issues on Martin bari's as well as other vintage Conns and Bueschers. Also, an enlarged chamber gives these pieces some chance for flexibility, otherwise, they are limited to a bright, compact tone. That's my 2-cents.

·
13,016 Posts
The Rico Metalite's weakness is the small chamber. I've been using Rico mouthpieces on my Martin bari for years, but the chambers on mine have been greatly enlarged. Without modification, I find that these pieces cause nasty intonation issues on Martin bari's as well as other vintage Conns and Bueschers. Also, an enlarged chamber gives these pieces some chance for flexibility, otherwise, they are limited to a bright, compact tone. That's my 2-cents.
I understand Jorns' point here. I'd love to try a larger-chambered Metalite. Does anybody know who would work on one to open up the chamber? I understand the material in Metalites is not very conducive to being worked on. I also have a Graftonite bari piece. I'd love to have somebody open the chamber on that and see what happens. The cost of the mouthpieces is minimal. How much would it cost to open the chamber? Could I do it myself? Any advice or instructions about how to go about it? I'm enamored of this idea now. Thanks, Jorns. Now I have large chamber GAS.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I had a "The Martin Bari" and tried all sorts of stuff. The horn will sound great with just about anything- getting D2-F#2 to play in tune is another matter as Jorns and MMM just pointed out. I would suggest you go to the "New Product Announcement" section and read the thread by MartinMods introducing mouthpieces specifically designed/modified to work with these horns.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
IMHO, IMHO, IMHO... The Rico Metalite's weakness is the small chamber. I've been using Rico mouthpieces on my Martin bari for years, but the chambers on mine have been greatly enlarged. Without modification, I find that these pieces cause nasty intonation issues on Martin bari's as well as other vintage Conns and Bueschers. Also, an enlarged chamber gives these pieces some chance for flexibility, otherwise, they are limited to a bright, compact tone. That's my 2-cents.
More to the point, regardless of what sound you're looking for, getting the intonation right is key, and a small or medium chamber won't do it on an old Martin.

In addition to Erik, Martinmods is also doing some custom mouthpiece work specific to old Martin horns on Graftonites and Dukoffs that have had some good reviews. Essentially chamber mods I presume. Might want to look into those as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
The metalite only comes in one chamber. Try a Graftonite as it comes in a Medium and large chamber in addtion to the small chamber (my metalite seems to be the smaller chamber). For my old Martin bari, the Selmer S-90 is the best I have found and I never liked any Selmers before! Don't rule out any brand for bari. Every horn is different so matchin is important. In the 60s I had a FL slant HR Link for my mark VI bari and my King Zephyr had the original pickle fat mouthpiece. Switching them around did not work at all. That great Link wouldn't work at all on the vintage horn.
Give a Rico a try, maybe in an "A" chamber, not too open.

·
13,016 Posts
The metalite only comes in one chamber. Try a Graftonite as it comes in a Medium and large chamber in addtion to the small chamber (my metalite seems to be the smaller chamber). ...
Give a Rico a try, maybe in an "A" chamber, not too open.
On the D'Addario/Rico web page, it shows the tenor Graftonite comes in the A, B, and C chamber sizes, but the bari Graftonite only in the B chamber, and I only see the Graftonite bari B chamber offered on other sites. Was there a bari Graftonite A chamber made at one time?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, I opened up that MartinMods post and thought this looks great. Then it turned into a trainwreck...

I should have added that I am starting from scratch with no mouthpiece. I have never had a mouthpiece adjusted. Is it typical practice to purchase one and then send it to the adjuster?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts