Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to get the 'vintage' sax i'd been given to be repaired at Michael Whites in Ealing - I've just started playing and had tried replacing the mouthpiece with an otto link - didnt help one jot.....guys said it would cost upwards of 400 quid..probably more - with no guarentee it would be a great horn at the end....that lots of the seals were poor - that the neck was bent an possibly cracking, that all the springs were worn and needed replacement...that sax design had improved over the years and that the keys were all in unusual places when compared to a modern sax - and suggested i'd be better spending on a new student sax - said i'd get easier tone and tuning and would fine the instrument so much easier to play.......I asked which they'd recommend and to my suprise they selected what seemed to be the cheapest sax in the shop - makes a change since i'm used to shops trying to sell rather than save me money!

tried it in the shop and it was the first time i'd sounded like i could blow!!! Played clarinet since i was 11 so i'm not clueless, but the old Pierret Stencil i was trying to learn on was soooo out of shape it had made me think i was going to be useless on the sax.....now i feel thoroughly inspired and am practicing like a madman.......look, i'm no expert, but it seems to me that I couldnt have got a better tool for my desires no matter what i'd spent!!! Recommended to all new starters ;)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hey, congrats on your horn!

It's great that you've found inspiration. You know you're set if you have Yamaha Tenor - it'll promise a great long life, and great tone.

Happy blowing!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Colt Seavers said:
they'd recommend and to my suprise they selected what seemed to be the cheapest sax in the shop - makes a change since i'm used to shops trying to sell rather than save me money!
LOL, they didnt sell it to you? You went for a refurb, and left with a new Yamaha!

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but if the Yamaha was the cheapest horn I wonder what else they had there. Enjoy the Yamaha, they are good horns.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts