Sax on the Web Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
My input is my Lamberson SB ...I can play soft and subtle..Md,low volume, and I can Scream through some Rock, and R&B stuff with alot of Altissimo. One of the most versitile pieces I have ever found. Hard rubber, or Acetal. Thanks

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts
Really this thread is just "what is your favourite mouthpiece?"

So I think I will have to join Phil and make another shameless plug and say "the one I make for me".

Or am I missing something?
Pete, your favorite mouthpiece may be versatile enough that you can play any type of music that you want to with it. For some of us, our favorite mouthpiece might be one that is too specialized to play some types of music. For example, our favorite mouthpiece might be a mellow jazz piece that we can't play on a rock gig, or a paint peeler that we can't play on an acoustic jazz gig. So our answer might be a mouthpiece that has more range, but not necessarily the one that we like the best.

So we could ask another question: If you could only play one of your mouthpieces, would it be the one that is also your favorite? I think that you would say "Yes", but that some of us would say "No".
I think that, in essence, is what this thread is all about, a mouthpiece that is versatile. To get back to the OP, we are discussing something that will play:
jazz/blues/funk/pop/rock/accoustic/electric/small group/big band/post bop/swing/straight ahead/fusion/smooth jazz/
So we need to answer bearing that in mind.

How many of us can say we have one mouthpiece that does all of that? I think quite a few of the answers from people may have been from those who don't actually play all of those styles (I think that was behind my comment, ie that the answers had somehow gone off topic)

EDIT: I'm not going to name names, but I do think some of the people who answered have expressed a hatred for smooth jazz, and would never play it!

Some of us may need to switch mouthpieces to play in all of those styles and so I understand what you mean by saying a "favourite" mouthpiece may not be the answer to this question for some people, so I guess it's a very good question if it helps people find one mouth[piece that will be a happy one for them and all of those styles.

I remember how happy i was when I found a mouthpiece finally that meant I didn't need to keep swapping in the middle of a gig or session.

(It was an RPC)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,335 Posts
How many of us can say we have one mouthpiece that does all of that?
Though this thread is about tenor mouthpieces, on alto I've pretty much covered all the listed styles with my trusty RPC 90 rollover... and sometimes all in one gig. Been years, not months, with that piece.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
For me, its a lot easier to find one alto mpc for everything than it has been for tenor...
I agree 110%! I don't understand why it would be different on tenor though. What seems to work so well on alto for me (medium chamber) does not work as well on tenor.

Ving, I think I have a recording around here somewhere with you on it (playing tenor). If it's you, I enjoyed hearing it. I'll need to go look for it.

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Easy...

Otto Link HR 8 or 9 (new vintage pieces) or
V16 T9

These two pieces will do EVERYTHING I need...I played the V16 piece for over a year..I played everything from the Ibert Concertino to Skunk Funk with that piece...it's an AMAZING piece...love it...most of all...it lets ME sound like ME...

Ryan

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts
Easy...

Otto Link HR 8 or 9 (new vintage pieces) or
V16 T9

These two pieces will do EVERYTHING you need...I played the V16 piece for over a year..I played everything from the Ibert Concertino to Skunk Funk with that piece...it's an AMAZING piece...love it...most of all...it lets YOU sound like YOU...
I would entirely agree with this statement, but you would need to replace the word "you" with "me".

·
Registered
170 Posts
Although the comfort level and familiarity of "one mouthpiece" has it's merits. In particular that the player thouroughly learns the capabilities of that one mouthpiece.

There is also something to be said regarding the right tool for the job which means that the mouthpiece you are using is the best compliment for the style of music that you are expressing. A player can usually have the same facing applied to different mouthpieces by a skilled tech to remain in his comfort and familiarity zone and have several or many mouthpieces that feel similar.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Mine is a straight-out-of-the-box Otto Link NY 8*. I have owned a few pieces that were very versatile, though. Among them: RPC, Bay EJ9, Beechler metal, and SR Tech.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts