Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of this kind I saw... No model number, no serial number, no high f sharp, no front f, looks almost like my Mark 6 soprano, originally a black plastic thumb rest which I had to replace since it was broken, cork on the side keys not original ;), quite light in weight (1,090 kg), and plays not only in tune but sounds definitely very well... Anybody knows when this has been made?
Musical instrument Reed instrument Product Wind instrument Woodwind instrument
Musical instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Reed instrument Woodwind instrument
Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Musical instrument accessory
Tableware Wind instrument Glass Art Metal
Musical instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Art Brass instrument
Grille Automotive design Automotive exterior Material property Motor vehicle
Musical instrument Font Reed instrument Rectangle Wind instrument

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,184 Posts
I don’t think that at the time this was made they had more than one soprano in their production, these are very common saxophones made in Taiwan ( found under several brands) as a copy of the Mark VI (loosely speaking ) certainly inferior to the contemporary Yanagisawa S6.

You can find them under many brands, one of which is Gult, they were made before the Taiwanese production took off with higher quality instruments. My guess is that your sax was made at the end of the ’70 beginning of the ‘80.

If you are happy about it, that’s all that matters but if you are looking for a monetary valuations these aren’t worth much. Paradoxically they may be worth less as a Jupiter ( due to the bad press this brand enjoys in many circles and countries) that they seem to sell as Gulf or Dixon or Oriental (in my opinion all the same stuff).

this is a Gulf pretty much identical to your jupiter ( down to the second from the top palm key being bent the exact same way)

Bag Folk instrument Wood Rectangle Luggage and bags
Reed instrument Musical instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you milandro! So possibly a Jupiter who sold almost identical sopranos as Gulf or Oriental or other "brands", or a taiwanese manufacturer who labeled them Gulf, Jupiter, Oriental and so on...? And certainly also similar in ergonomy but way inferior in quality to the S6 you mentioned (pics comparing my silver-plated S6 to the Jupiter attached). Resale value? I don't really care, right now it's a cute little trunk horn I can take for vacation (wouldn't take my Mark 6 or the S6 ;))
Musical instrument Plant Reed instrument Wood Decoration
Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Clarinet family Interior design
Musical instrument Reed instrument Clarinet family Wind instrument Brass instrument

·
42,184 Posts
As I said chances are that they sell better with any other name on it but As A Jupiter probably in a private sale between €500 to a maximum of €750 ( but I doubt that)

I am quite sure that the maker was KHS ( which is the company known as Jupiter in most countries ) and that all the other brand-names were produced there. KHS has very old roots in the saxophone making and were in fact the company which helped with the starting of Yamaha in he woodwind world (but I am quite sure that this was mostly to start the serial production, Yamaha and Jupiter were co-operating already for years in the piano sales in Taiwan ,and Jupiter was and stil is the importer for Yamaha piano’s in Taiwan), however Yamaha bought the facilities of Nikkan Gakki for flutes and saxophones( Nikkan Gakki which later on, after the sale to Yamaha split again originating Yanagisawa).

this is a Dixon soprano which I believe had the same origin

Hand Musical instrument Reed instrument Body jewelry Wind instrument
Automotive lighting Gold Body jewelry Art Jewellery
Musical instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Reed instrument Amber
Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Automotive lighting Woodwind instrument
Musical instrument Automotive exhaust Wind instrument Brass instrument Wood

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KHS, that's what I thought too, since it is labeled Jupiter... I still am intrigued by the lack of a model or serial number, since even on older Jupiter saxes I found those... but they may certainly exist. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,530 Posts
First of this kind I saw... No model number, no serial number, no high f sharp, no front f, looks almost like my Mark 6 soprano, originally a black plastic thumb rest which I had to replace since it was broken, cork on the side keys not original ;), quite light in weight (1,090 kg), and plays not only in tune but sounds definitely very well... Anybody knows when this has been made?
View attachment 115175 View attachment 115176 View attachment 115177 View attachment 115178 View attachment 115179 View attachment 115180 View attachment 115181
This is an early Taiwanese piece made before TW made the billion dollar investment upgrades in 2006 to the sax industry in Houli. I have the same exact model and have had several others that were labeled either Crown or Accord. My best guess is 1995-2005. I've been seeing a few of these being listed on eBay during the last few months. My Accord is being adjusted and given whatever replacements felt, pads, corks it needs to play well but was already playing really well for this type of horn.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,530 Posts
I ma sure that by the turn of last century Jupiter already used a different type of mechanics featuring very much more modern plam keys
GULF was still making in line palm key horn in China at that time

·
42,184 Posts
Although that may have been the case for sopranos branded Gulf ,I am resonably sure that, by that time 1995-2000, the Jupiter brand, which is what @tjahns has, was no longer using this design, not even for the cheapest models and they even developed already and produced for a few years already the series 800 Artis to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the company (a very advanced design for its times). Besides also the logo would have been different by that era.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,508 Posts
Years ago (can't recall the date), I bought a MkVI-style straight soprano from a fellow SOTW'r. It was labelled KUSTOM and looked just like a VI and the other VI-clones shown in this thread. It had a serial number but no other markings. I toyed with it for years (never did a public performance with it because the low Bb was very sharp, but other than that, the horn played decently). I asked about it here but never received a definitive response.

I finally saw a photo of a similar Antigua-branded horn and concluded that my KUSTOM was made by Antigua . . . and moved on. Now, I realize the KUSTOM was most likely made by an Asian company who put on whatever brand-name was wanted by the person who ordered the horn (or a dozen gross of them). DAVE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts