Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jupiter "Limited Edition"?

Hi Everyone, new member here. Not a sax player, but my wife used to be when she was younger and I wanted to surprise her with a unique/sentimental Valentines present, an alto sax. I dont want to spend a bunch but want something that isnt to dinged or dented, I have been scouring Reverb, Ebay, Craigslist, etc to find a good used one. I came across a listing for a Jupiter "Limited Edition" , that is what is stamped on the bell. Seller says no other markings excpet serial number. Google doesnt return any info on a "Limited Edition". Anyone know anything about it?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Might be helpful to post a link or photos. I’m not familiar with a special edition of theirs. This could refer to something as simple as a new finish option.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I'm not going to try to talk you out of giving a musical instrument as a gift to someone who is not currently playing, but I do think that you have to build in a return option if your wife's plans don't coincide with yours. And especially for Valentine's Day, it would be best to have a horn that's really impressive-looking. Given those two factors, this is the rare occasion on which I'd suggest buying a new saxophone rather than a used one. If your budget can support it, maybe purchase a nice house-brand alto from Kessler's (their horns are generally respected around here as providing good bang for the buck). This will give you a shiny, sexy-looking horn and a three-day trial period. You'll be able to return it if necessary with no hassle, then spend the money on something else as needed. Also -- and this is important, since you're not a player yourself, and your wife hasn't played for a while -- the horn will be ready to play out of the box. No missing parts, big leaks, etc. No fix-up trip to the tech necessary. I think that's important for a gift.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm not going to try to talk you out of giving a musical instrument as a gift to someone who is not currently playing, but I do think that you have to build in a return option if your wife's plans don't coincide with yours. And especially for Valentine's Day, it would be best to have a horn that's really impressive-looking. Given those two factors, this is the rare occasion on which I'd suggest buying a new saxophone rather than a used one. If your budget can support it, maybe purchase a nice house-brand alto from Kessler's (their horns are generally respected around here as providing good bang for the buck). This will give you a shiny, sexy-looking horn and a three-day trial period. You'll be able to return it if necessary with no hassle, then spend the money on something else as needed. Also -- and this is important, since you're not a player yourself, and your wife hasn't played for a while -- the horn will be ready to play out of the box. No missing parts, big leaks, etc. No fix-up trip to the tech necessary. I think that's important for a gift.
IMO, that was some real good advice, right there...

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,306 Posts
I don't know how long you have been married, but staying married requires shiny new gifts. The Kessler recommendation is spot on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Appreciate the advice and mostly agree, there is some more backstory that would help explain, but to much for here. She has dropped enough hints that I think i am safe getting her a sax. Return policy and new would be nice but the only new models that fit my budget are the Medini"s, Etudes, etc that most of what I have read says stay away from. I cant link to the ad, I found it on Offerup but I will see if I can screenshot the pics to here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Might be helpful to post a link or photos. I’m not familiar with a special edition of theirs. This could refer to something as simple as a new finish option.
Sounds like it's one of these: https://www.long-mcquade.com/9909/B...ry_Limited_Edition_Silver_Plated_Alto_Sax.htm
30th anniversary, silver with abalone pearls. More info about the horn at that link.

Will post some pics when I figure out how. Its gold, not silver, neck is silver though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,951 Posts
You (or seller) have made a mistake here in the ID of the horn. This is a "Capital Edition"...not a Limited.

Decent horns, this one aesthetically looks to be in decent shape. Serials on these indicate they were made early-mid 2000's, which is good because they upped their game as far as quality and reliability starting in about '99.

So, basically, a market value of around $450-500ish in good playing shape.

DO make SURE the seller confirms it plays up and down well. This requires more confirmation than seller simply stating 'looks to be in good shape'. It requires confirmation that functionally the sax is completely playable. You don't wanna get your wife a sax which needs repair work....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Just to clarify . . . lacquered brass is not gold. It is best described as "yellow metal" or what it really is and that is brass, not gold unless it is in fact, gold plating or solid. The photos look like it is a typical brass instrument. When dealing with metals, using a descriptor like GOLD when trying to define a color can be misleading. Just my nit-picking nature, I 'spose.

Next, it is always helpful to us considering offering advice to tell us where you live, for numerous reasons.

I agree with the advice offered, so far. Rather than go for looks, go for playability. For your purposes, the horn MUST play. A Kessler house-brand saxophone will play. I've owned both brands (three Kesslers, and one Jupiter soprano that was gifted to me) and all were good players. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,951 Posts
Quick note to thread readers:

.....the only new models that fit my budget are the Medini"s, Etudes, etc that most of what I have read says stay away from.
A new Mendini runs around $220-300

Kessler's cheapest Alto = $739.

Thus folks are suggesting a purchase = 3x the OP's budget.

Mr. Ljn21...if you really only have $300 to spend...you likely aren't gonna land a reliable sax by Valentine's day. That budget is too bare-bones to make a quick, informed purchase.

All I can offer is that if you do proceed with something in the next week, be certain the buyer confirms it is in good, playable condition and comes with a return policy.

If you are OK with being patient and taking some time to acquire some more sax-buying info/advice......you will make a more informed (and less risky) purchase. Maybe give it to her as a St. Patty's Day gift instead ?

If you can up your budget to $350-375, feel free to contact me via the website below, as I have Altos available in that price range.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I don't know how long you have been married, but staying married requires shiny new gifts. The Kessler recommendation is spot on.
Do not believe this.
Been married since 1982 and living together since 1978.
Shiny new gifts got less than nothing to do with it.
Kessler part sounds right, tho!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hi Everyone, new member here. Not a sax player, but my wife used to be when she was younger and I wanted to surprise her with a unique/sentimental Valentines present, an alto sax. I dont want to spend a bunch but want something that isnt to dinged or dented, I have been scouring Reverb, Ebay, Craigslist, etc to find a good used one. I came across a listing for a Jupiter "Limited Edition" , that is what is stamped on the bell. Seller says no other markings excpet serial number. Google doesnt return any info on a "Limited Edition". Anyone know anything about it?
You (or seller) have made a mistake here in the ID of the horn. This is a "Capital Edition"...not a Limited.

Decent horns, this one aesthetically looks to be in decent shape. Serials on these indicate they were made early-mid 2000's, which is good because they upped their game as far as quality and reliability starting in about '99.

DO make SURE the seller confirms it plays up and down well. This requires more confirmation than seller simply stating 'looks to be in good shape'. It requires confirmation that functionally the sax is completely playable. You don't wanna get your wife a sax which needs repair work....
As Jaye said - this is a Capital Edition. They were the first level Taiwanese made horns and were marketed as a step up from the Chinese made beginner series.
They are solid, decently made horns with good, comfortable ergonomics.

I would budget some $$ to have a sax tech give it a tune up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thx! That explains a lot! I never looked that close at the stamp, seller listed it as a Limited not a Capital. They are asking 250 for it.

Opinions on this Jupitor for 250 vs a early 80s Vito 7131 for 300, assuming similar cosmetics?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quick note to thread readers:

.....the only new models that fit my budget are the Medini"s, Etudes, etc that most of what I have read says stay away from.
A new Mendini runs around $220-300

Kessler's cheapest Alto = $739.

Thus folks are suggesting a purchase = 3x the OP's budget.

Mr. Ljn21...if you really only have $300 to spend...you likely aren't gonna land a reliable sax by Valentine's day. That budget is too bare-bones to make a quick, informed purchase.

All I can offer is that if you do proceed with something in the next week, be certain the buyer confirms it is in good, playable condition and comes with a return policy.

If you are OK with being patient and taking some time to acquire some more sax-buying info/advice......you will make a more informed (and less risky) purchase. Maybe give it to her as a St. Patty's Day gift instead ?

If you can up your budget to $350-375, feel free to contact me via the website below, as I have Altos available in that price range.
Thanks for the offer. I scrapped the idea for valentines day, to your point, just not enough time and felt rushed. Im using the mobile version of the forum...when you say at the site below, it doesnt show sny site, Ill try viewing from my computer when I have a chance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to clarify . . . lacquered brass is not gold. It is best described as "yellow metal" or what it really is and that is brass, not gold unless it is in fact, gold plating or solid. The photos look like it is a typical brass instrument. When dealing with metals, using a descriptor like GOLD when trying to define a color can be misleading. Just my nit-picking nature, I 'spose.

Next, it is always helpful to us considering offering advice to tell us where you live, for numerous reasons.

I agree with the advice offered, so far. Rather than go for looks, go for playability. For your purposes, the horn MUST play. A Kessler house-brand saxophone will play. I've owned both brands (three Kesslers, and one Jupiter soprano that was gifted to me) and all were good players. DAVE
Thanks for the correcting. When I read your post, a visual of Sheldon from Big Bang Theory popped in my head, haha

I will refer correctly to the material in the future and not the visual perceived color 🙂

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Ljn21: FWIW, when I went through the Los Angeles Police Academy in 1961, one of our classes was about accurate report-writing . . . a lesson I will never forget. DAVE

1 - 19 of 19 Posts