Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our school is looking to purchase a new bari(for me:D ). but we need some help. My teacher kind of wants a jupiter. I have played a Jupiter Deluxe and hated it, but I hear the artist ones are pretty good. Are they? if not what do you guys recommend in the same price range. Thanks for the help

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,868 Posts
I owned the Artist 893SG Eb Baritone Saxophone for a year or two. Played fine and of course looks real nice with the silver body.

http://jupiterinstrument.com/sax_artist_baritone.htm#993

Jupiter made a newer model last year, the 993GL Eb Baritone Saxophone. Much better horn in all respects. I bought one several months ago and have had no problems with it. I use it in my party band and also in the community concert band.

I have not had an opportunity to compare it to other horns in the same price range.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the fact that it says Bb bari sax a typo

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I tried one of those Jupiter Deluxe's for a band teacher who plays trumpet in a big band with me. I hated it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,260 Posts
My experiene with Jupiter is that they do not last. They are very soft metal horns and last about three years before they need some serious repairs with all the abuse that High School students tend to put them through. I have actually put finger impressions into the bell of Jupiter Baris just by picking them up.

·
Premium Member
11,598 Posts
My experience with the Jupiter Deluxe bari is different from that of others here. I currently play a Jupiter Deluxe and ask anyone who has heard me play; I rock!! :headbang: (but then again, put any saxophone in my hands and I rock :D )

Joke aside, I agree that this bari would probably not last very long as a high school horn

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,875 Posts
jmathesonjr said:
My experiene with Jupiter is that they do not last. They are very soft metal horns and last about three years before they need some serious repairs with all the abuse that High School students tend to put them through. I have actually put finger impressions into the bell of Jupiter Baris just by picking them up.
I played my Artist model bari heavily for several years with no ill effects, either to myself, or the horn.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Merlin said:
I played my Artist model bari heavily for several years with no ill effects, either to myself, or the horn.
But, as you said, you played an Artist, not a deluxe. The deluxes really do have very soft brass.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts