Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in high school and playing alto,tenor,bari,and soprano saxophone.I am renting my schools tenor but when schools is out i aint got a tenor to play during the summer. I have been looking at the Jupiter 889sg Artist,and the Yanigisawa t-901. Which one is most recommended?

Thanks For the help.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
T901

·
Registered
196 Posts
get a used yani, you won't lose as much money in the resale value. If you're in highschool you'll probably not want to keep up with the silver tarnishing on the jupiter. The ergos on the yani felt smoother in my opinion.

·
Registered
112 Posts
if you are debating between 2 used horns, search around the internet and other shops for the same thing. Most rent to own places don't have the best financial deals in the end.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I played a Super Balanced tenor for 30 years. Then beyond my control, it got away from me. About 10 years later I picked up an Artist tenor. I've got to say it's not a bad horn. I wouldn't call it equal to any Yani but it also cost me $675.00 in beautiful condition. YMMV!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Yanagisawa, without hesitation. In 10 years, you'll thank us.

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
I own a T901 and have been tempted to buy an 889SG on many an occassion, so I can understand the choice here. Seeing that I haven't played my T901 much, and have never played the 889SG, I can't really comment on the head to head comparisons. The little time I have clocked on the T901 and other brass Yanis give me the impression of a bright sounding horn, slightly lightweight in sound, but an excellent instrument.

The main appeal of the 889SG is it looks beautiful. The gold on silver finish is lovely. However, reports indicate that the silver finish is prone to tarnishing, so it needs frequent polishing to keep up its good looks. And as far as holding its value, the T901 will beat it hands down, though this is somewhat negated if you can buy the 889SG at a low enough price point. Sound wise, I wouldn't expect the Jupiter to be much worse than the T901, though this is just an educated guess on my part.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
I can comment on both horns having owned them and worked on them too. The Yani is so much better. The mechanics and ergos are easier and the resale value of the Yani is much better. I just worked on an artist alto today and the silver plating was flaking away inside the tone holes like a snake losing its skin. They also sound dead, but that's my opinion. A used cannonball global series or newer is a better chioce than a Jupiter also.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I guess I got lucky my jupiter is awesome made in 2002 no tarnish perfect and the sound is awesome and loud

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
How would this be different than the Jupiter?
Someone else mentionned it: Yanagisawa builds lifetime quality horns, which many of us have experienced and can testify.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
And again, it's up to the OP as to what he is after. $700.00 for a used Jupiter or whatever the market will bear for the Yani. Sure, the Yani is better overall. I think it likely costs considerably more. If you're making an investment, buy the Yani. FWIW, my Jupiter is a 2003 with none of the issues menitoned by Bill. And this is no reflection on Bill. I'm sure he was reporting exactly what he found. But that hasn't been the case with mine. I also have a Martin and a Kohlert57 lest anyone think I have nothing to compare this horn to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts