Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 869 SG alto sax and have been playing on it after having it set up. I was very impressed with it's big full tone and how easy it plays. I was using a Selmer C* and was pleased with the tonal range of the horn. It seems to be a very solid feeling horn and well constructed. The only drawback i noticed was the silver plating can be a pain trying to keep clean.

·
Registered
17 Posts
One of my students brought in one of these to our lesson today (had just bought it on Craigslist). I was a bit worried at first, but I played on it and was impressed with how it played. I would describe the tone as full and bright. Played evenly up and down the the scale of the horn and altissimo spoke relatively easy. The action was decent and comparable to other professional-level instruments. It will definitely suit this beginner-level student's needs for a while and I would recommend these horns to other students looking for affordable instruments. I play Yamaha across the board, but I don't like to bash horns by their name alone. From what I can tell, Jupiter has come a long way in quality. Some of my other students are playing the 767GL or 769GNs and they are comparable to the YAS23, a staple for beginning sax players for years.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine was a craigslist find as well. Lol. I actually have done quite well with Craigslist so I keep a close eye on it. I have been pretty impressed with Jupiter's horns especially the 869. I also recently got a Jupiter stenciled Vito that was very impressive. It plays effortlessly and smoothly with a very big full warm tone. I noticed the Vito has ribbed construction rather than post construction. Anyway I am sure a trip to the local tech could get the horn to shine even more. I really wish I had a nice horn to learn on so your student should be very happy they have a horn they can grow into. I also like the Yamaha altos as I have a YAS-34II Allegro which is essentially a 62 with the non engraved 475 bell. It is a great playing horn but I find its tone is too centered and focused and I prefer a big full tone. I want to try a G1, G3 or V1 neck on it to see if they may help. It was suggested that the V1 may be the best of the three. We will see.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I think they are stable, pretty, fairly well made, and entirely unimpressive when compared to the "big boys". Of course the same applies when comparing an economy car to a 7 series BMW. They easily get you where you're going. I use one in a regularly working corporate band and enjoy it - it's just not in the top 5.

·
Registered
10 Posts
"Not in the big Five". Get a grip!
They just make 4 of the big 5s entry level horns for them!
Snobs make me hurl!

Players make the horn!
Horns don't make the player!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I should have said top 5 for me. They're just not that impressive compared to my Selmer Paris or my vintage Conn's. Ive also played Cannonballs in the same price range i find to be better. It's not snobbery - in fact, there's no emotion at all involved - its experience with the instrument in question and years of playing one. My response was meant as a factual observation, not a put down. I bought one - now I'm looking for something that plays better. It will be a short look. My old Evette Schaffer Paris plays better but it's just not glitzy enough for the corporate work I do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have a selmer mk vi (original owner) 1972, yas-23,jupiter artist 847sg/jupiter artist 869sg and rsr alto jazz. The jupiter artist alto is the brightest of the bunch. it has fantastic projection and intonation. I use a beechler bellite 8* with rico plasticoat 2.5 reed. the difference of the silver plating, the solid silver neck and the metal resonators is huge. A good friend who is a professional sax player and who overhauled my mark vi very recently said my mark vi was bright....well this jupiter is much brighter. Of course this combo mouthpiece and horn makes for that modern sound most people are trying to get. The only things i dont like so much are the g# key position not wide enough and the action is not as fast as a selmer mk vi but then again what is?? for the money... fantastic and or course beautiful,,,very beautiful. wipe it down when you are done and she stays looking good. altissimo is excellent...maybe even a little better than the selmer. I paid under 900 for a horn that maybe was played twice since new. it came to my house looking..brand new. for the quality, looks and performance and sound,, this horn is unmatched. look for a good used 869sg. nothing even comes close for the money.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm honestly surprised more people haven't caught on to these horns. Such a sleeper. I worked in a music store for 4 years that couldn't sell Yamaha horns due to an exclusivity agreement with another nearby store so I had to find an alternative to the average parent and beginner player coming in asking "Do you sell Yamaha? My teacher said I should get a Yamaha." It's amazing how lazy some teachers are in guiding the students. Having said that, Yamaha is a fine brand and makes a lot of great products but spending 1300.00 for a student alto when you could buy a Jupiter for 995.00 that is just as good if not even a bit better IMO, is just kind of crazy. The student Yamaha's are made in China now, anyway so what are you really paying for?

But back on topic, I tried out some of the Jupiter line at the store and while it's not quite as good as my Selmer Series III tenor, my BA alto or Yani soprano, they are damn close and for a fraction of the price. I always kept my eye out for them going on special or a used one coming in because I knew they would be great road warrior horns for my bar and wedding gigs. I really lucked out about 6 months ago, when Jupiter when my company discounted them from around 2000.00 to 1000.00. With my staff discount I picked up an alto, tenor and soprano for 800.00 each. I've already paid them off in gigs so that's always nice!

Simply put, they play great. I've gotten about 8-10 other pros in the Toronto area to get them as back-up/gigging horns. They paid a bit more, around 1000.00 but they all say they play great. The ergonomics on the Artist series and 900/2000 series are are sound. The only thing that bugs me slightly is the pinky key rollers as I'm not quite used to them but I'm getting there. They play in tune and project a full, medium-bright, modern sound. It plays even throughout the entire range of the horn and the altissimo pops nicely. They are well built, heavier horns that can take a beating. I took them to my tech to get them set up and he said they are built like a tank, in a good way. Jupiter really has come a long way over the years and I firmly believe they are putting out some of the best horns on the market for the price. The only thing that's a bit of a pain is polishing the finish but it's not a big deal.

I haven't tried the new artist series that has been relaunched as the new 900 series but I imagine they are still good. Not really much to improve on if you ask me. But I'm glad they discontinued the 800 series so I was able to get them on clearance! If you ever see a 2000 series horn that is a pre XO model for cheap. You should snatch it up. We were blowing them out for 1295.00 and I was tempted to get one but didn't really think there was much of a difference in playability and 500.00 I might as well stand pat. Can't say enough good things about these horns.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Can you be more specific about the 2000 series? How do you know if a horn is pre XO?
Serial number, I think. Or perhaps not. I'll actually have to look into it if they changed them up or had a cut-off point for the two models. Also what is stamped on the bell and in most cases, the neck. XO models will have more elaborate engraving and a white pearl on the neck. Pre-XO models should have a blue 'J' in an old English type font. Also the XO horns should have the letters 'XO' somewhere on the bell or even the neck I believe. Do have pics? Should be pretty easy to identify.

·
Registered
923 Posts
The artist-level sopranos are just as good as the altos, FWIW - I play an 847SG that's one of the sweetest horns I've ever blown. Not quite in the same league as the Japanese horns, but close.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The artist-level sopranos are just as good as the altos, FWIW - I play an 847SG that's one of the sweetest horns I've ever blown. Not quite in the same league as the Japanese horns, but close.
Same. And agreed. I actually like the 847 over the 947. Maybe it's just because I'm more used to it but it's a little more free blowing which I like. Now if Jupiter could ever make a one piece with a curved neck. I would be so into that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts