Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a Jupiter 769. I'm pretty sure it's a student model, but I could be wrong. Anyways, I don't really have that great of a tone. I've been playing for years, and I'm good compared to most of the other saxophones at my school, but in my opinion it still sounds a little amateur. Would moving up to a professional saxophone help, or should I just stick to longtones (ick)?

·
Registered
656 Posts
The 769 is an intermediate model, above the 500 and 600 series horns. You might try out some pro mouthpieces and different reeds at a music store - less costly as well. They may make more difference than upgrading from your Jupiter - they do play well.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The 769 is an intermediate model, above the 500 and 600 series horns. You might try out some pro mouthpieces and different reeds at a music store - less costly as well. They may make more difference than upgrading from your Jupiter - they do play well.
+1 - the Jupiter 7** series are decent horns with a solid sound; in my experience they may not be as brilliant and bright (or edgy) as others in sound - something I actually prefer in many situations. So yes, try a different mouthpiece (or mouthpiece/reed setup). What are you using at he moment?

M.

EDIT: It seems we dug up an old and inactive thread here - so this may not help a lot...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Jupiter JAS-769. I am very impressed with it. Very adjustable, good tone and intonation, great ergonomics. Agree with above - get a good mouthpiece (I'm using an Otto Link Metal Tonemaster) and you'll be set.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a Jupiter JAS-769. I am very impressed with it. Very adjustable, good tone and intonation, great ergonomics. Agree with above - get a good mouthpiece (I'm using an Otto Link Metal Tonemaster) and you'll be set.
You've bumped a 3 year old thread just so you know! :)

The 700 series are ok horns. They are a step up from the student line but seeing as 800, 900, 2000, and XO series horns can be had for VERY cheap and are definitely a BIG step above, it wouldn't make sense in my opinion to get a 700 series unless it was dirt dirt cheap. But yes, they are substantially better built than the base model student horns.

Cheers,

TRANETRACKS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts