Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
155 Posts
For some reason, I don't seem to get anywhere with Vandorens. I've tried every color or letter combination one way or the other. I can't adjust to their numbering system either. I bought some Java's (1.5 and 2) in Seattle (Kennely Keys) for sop and alto. They were expensive (at least a year ago). I actually initially liked them, but then they fell out of circulation. Now I'm on Rigotti's on alto and sop and La Voz on bari. Sure, everybody has his/her sound concept. To me, the Rigotti's were a game changer (Florida era Link 6* on sop and Theo Wanne NY bro's 6 on alto). Then, I landed on the La Voz on bari and was totally sold. To the degree that I'm not even thinking of looking at new mouthpieces (I play Link slant)!!! For me, that is a new world altogether. So, I gave Juno's a chance, but they obviously were not for me...
Sorry for the typo! It should read Juno's, NOT Java's.

· Registered
988 Posts
I stopped by Vandoren in NYC last year and tried all their reeds for soprano and liked Juno best, but maybe because they are softer which equated to easier for me I think as I don’t play sop much. They are decent reeds and I think the only difference really is they are rated softer for ‘students’ to get used to a strength perhaps, although this just seems wrong to me.

I remember the guy there telling me they were not only offering them as a ‘student” reed but also their plan was to offer them to brick and motor stores only as an exclusive to walk in stores vs. online. I guess that plan didn’t work out too well we I could never find them anywhere in a brick and mortar store in NYC, in fact, I only ever found them at Vandoren. Due to this i since tried Roberto’s Winds sop reeds and never loooked back. Sound is 100%. better and play easily.

· Registered
2,856 Posts
I have just been poking around Vandorren's web pages and note no Juno reeds are listed. Have they discontinued this variant? I have a lot of Juno reeds 'on sale' of late so perhaps the resellers are off-loading what they have.

Their Juno offerings are not listed among their regular reeds but listed elsewhere...

https://junoreeds.com

· Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have just been poking around Vandorren's web pages and note no Juno reeds are listed. Have they discontinued this variant? I have a lot of Juno reeds 'on sale' of late so perhaps the resellers are off-loading what they have.

Their Juno offerings are not listed among their regular reeds but listed elsewhere...

https://junoreeds.com
I think that's just part of their market segmentation strategy.

They do have links to Juno reeds on the main website (e.g., if you visit their main page for saxophone reeds and mouse over the "Vandoren" tab at the top, "Juno Reeds" shows up in the drop-down menu). I just think they keep them separate for marketing purposes, so that the advanced and professional players that make up the bulk of the market for their "pro" reeds don't accidentally discover and switch to the cheaper Junos. I think this also explains the aggressive "beginner" labeling.

· Registered
2,856 Posts
I think that's just part of their market segmentation strategy.

I just think they keep them separate for marketing purposes, so that the advanced and professional players that make up the bulk of the market for their "pro" reeds don't accidentally discover and switch to the cheaper Junos. I think this also explains the aggressive "beginner" labeling.
mmichel - I think you've nailed it on the head = thanks.

· Registered
2,856 Posts
Being content with what I have I send numerous other reeds off to a local young musician who is head and shoulders more proficient and fastidious than I. They consider the Juno reeds "Quote" to be excellent for students because they make everything easy "Unquote". My interpretation is that they were impressed enough but found the Juno's to be not quite right for themself. Their reeds of choice are Gonzales Jazz 3s and Steuer Jazz 2.5s - for tenor

· TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,974 Posts
As I've been playing my Soprano a little more, I pulled back out the Juno reeds I bought, ran the reedgeek over it a couple times. Way better than the first plays. Pretty impressed. Won't be replacing my DJS selects on Soprano, but they are solid reeds

· Registered
3,303 Posts
An update based on a box each alto (10) and tenor (5):

On alto, Juno 3 reeds are a nice alternative to DSJ 3 Med and Rigotti Blue 3 Med.

On tenor, Juno 3 reeds are much too hard for me, so much that I can't use them. Currently playing either DSJ 3 Med or Rigotti Blue 3 Med. Once in a while I play Java Green 3 on tenor which really a bit soft for me. So in my experience Juno 3 tenor reeds blow much harder than Java Green 3 tenor reeds.

YMMV

21 - 33 of 33 Posts