Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience dealing with Junkdude? I was thinking of ordering a new mouthpiece from them and was wondering if anyone has any feedback, positive or negative. I've heard it takes a long to to get a Morgan mouthpiece from them but I am ordering a Link. Any help is appreciated!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
Great place. I ordered a Morgan Vintage from them, got it in about four business days. It was ordered on a sunday, arrived on thursday well packed. I would definitely recommend them.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Dave Hoskins (Junkdude) is my go to guy for all of my saxophone needs. The thing about sometimes having to wait a long time for a morgan IS true, but it's not Dave's fault. Ralph is very particular in the blanks he uses, and if he doesn't have the right blanks, he won't make pieces, therefore Dave cannot get them. Yet, Dave is still the best person to get them from. You can rest assured that the last person that touched that mouthpiece is Ralph.

Check with Dave to see if the model link you want is in. If it is, I know he will ship it right away and you won't have any problems. Junkdude is one of the best in the field, with good prices too. I can't recommend him highly enough.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
I live about 20 minutes away, Dave is totally reliable and good for his word. If what you want isnt in and you order online, you should get an email letting you know that.

I suggest that calling and double checking the piece you want is there. Dave will sort you out

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Junkdude is awesome! I bought my tenor Morgan 7E (upon recommendation from HeavyWeather77) and love it! The shipping in my case, was fast. He's also a very personable, friendly guy.

·
Registered
417 Posts
No problems here either. I ordered a Morgan 9E and was told it would take 3 weeks. It took exactly three weeks and was shipped in perfect condition as promised.

I'd certainly use Junkdude again, so can't say any more than that really

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
It looks like you're good to go if you're going to buy Junkdude's mouthpieces. I haven't but people I know have no problems with him.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Junkdude & Morgan's Mouthpieces

I am the proud owner of two Morgan Excaliburs from Junkdude, the first of which took a long time to arrive, the second of which arrived in record time.

Going to the website to check availability and send a mail first to check availability will probably do you well. Teresa and Dave keep you posted on where things are and when to expect your piece. I live in Switzerland and had to wait a little longer for mine, but it was worth the wait. Pristine packing and that's just on the outside. The mouthpiece itself is in a plastic tube and wrapped in tissue inside the tube.

I would highly recommend getting one of his pieces for a couple of reasons: Firstly, they're great mouthpieces. Secondly, for a handmade and finished piece, you're getting a real bargain price.

Do it.

Do it now.

:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,121 Posts
Junkdude

Over the past few years, I have bought a soprano, three mouthpieces, two cases, and a variety of reeds from Junkdude. Dave is knows what he sells from A-Z and is totally honest and courteous. I also have sax in consignment with him (transitional nickel plated Conn tenor that is currently on his web-site), which I sent to him because I wanted an accurate assesment of the horn, rather than a bunch of hype from some other vintage dealers. He is among the few dealers/repair guys that I trust 100%; others being Palo Tung (Justsaxes) and Les Arbuckle (Saxoasis).

·
Registered
957 Posts
I bought him a tenor sax and three Morgan mouthpiece (not all in the same time!) and if the might be some delay, it's always been nice business!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,423 Posts
Mostly good

I purchased 2 mouthpieces from Junkdude and called a few other times to discuss horns, etc., and all experiences were positive. Dave is a good guy to deal with. However, on 3 separate occaisions this year, I left a message on the answering machine, and never received a call back.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Forget about Email with Dave. Reach him by phone and he is all ears.

A I have said on many an occasion, Dave Hoskins is one of my all time favorite dealers/techs.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had a great conversation (and ordered two Morgan mouthpieces) over the phone with Dave at JunkDude today. I've only ordered online with him in the past but thought I'd just pick up the phone today and see what he had. We talked for a while about Morgan pieces and whether or not he is getting any more Hiscox cases (didn't sound like it... seemed to be a problem with the manufacturer wanting to ship them out from the UK). What a wealth of knowledge and a really nice guy who was very generous with information.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
napas14 said:
Has anyone had experience dealing with Junkdude? I was thinking of ordering a new mouthpiece from them and was wondering if anyone has any feedback, positive or negative. I've heard it takes a long to to get a Morgan mouthpiece from them but I am ordering a Link. Any help is appreciated!
I ordered an expensive vintage mouthpiece from them, tried it, couldn't use it, returned it and they sent a refund immediately! I will definitely order from them from now on.
Martin

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,003 Posts
I hate to be the one to break the trend, but I had a not so great experiance with Junkdude, although I have had good transactions too.
I bought a martin stencil soprano from him earlier this year, which arrived very quickly and very well packed. I played it for a little while then gave it to my tech for a few adjustments. He pointed out very quickly that at least four of the tone holes had been very heavily filed, to the point where the bevel on the tone hole was non existent. The description of the horn on junkdude.com stated that the horn was in very good condition with only minor soldering repairs being the only realy blemishes.
I emailed Dave expressing my disappointment, saying that considering that bevelled toneholes are a major feature of the Martin's that it should have been mentioned in the product description. I never received any sort of response. I suppose I should put it down to buyer beware but I foolishly thought that due to the reputation of the business that what was stated on the website would be enough to let me know the condition of the horn and that any sort of pertinant points would have been mentioned.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts