Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just listened to a Freddie Hubbard album with Junior Cook on tenor. Not much talk about this player here, so I thought I'd post a video. There's a Spanish voice-over in the beginning.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have a album of cliff jordan with junior cook. Both are amazing players.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Junior was also a great pianist...who taught at Berklee.

I got into this thing of listening to Jr. Cook with old
Horace Silver records-how many people
ever realize how far advanced this man was.
His jazz playing is a direct link to many younger players
of today.That concept was a must..to play in Horace Silvers bands.

Even Joe Henderson (he and Jr lived together before Joe went on Horaces gig )
on thru Mike Brecker. (the early stages ) I just think he's so vital to a certain part of jazz sax history-BUT
he is almost forgotten at this point.

And he also was killing it when he played
with Freddie Hubbard. He was even a teacher at Berklee when guys like Richie Cole
and Chick Corea were around town.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
Great player. The Horace Silver tunes were classics: Sister Sadie, Cookin' at the Continental, etc.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I love his sound on these videos from 1959 when he was playing with Horace Silver. Perfect blend of Coltrane, Rollins and Mobley. Looks like he is playing double ring link. His sound changed quite a lot in his latter career but here it is very controlled and IMO similar to George Coleman's.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
This one. It's quite something. Do you know it?
No, I hadn't heard it. I just listened to a couple of tracks on spotify and it's not really my thing.

Here is the blurb about it from spotify:

"This is a strange LP. Trumpeter Freddie Hubbard and his quintet (which consisted of tenor-saxophonist Junior Cook, pianist Kenny Barron, bassist Art Booth and drummer Louis Hayes) is joined by a chorus, a string orchestra, several reciters, an organist and a variety of processed sounds emanating from tapes. The thoughts expressed in the music (topical and anti-war messages) are quite sincere but the abstract sounds will only be enjoyed by a limited audience; jazz fans should look elsewhere. ~ Scott Yanow, All Music Guide"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I loved it. And Junior Cook's playing on that album is superb.
Also, although I did not know the album before, while listening to it I recognized some stuff. Why? Because this album a very popular source for samples among DJ's and sound designers.

In any case, I can see it's maybe not for everyone. Personally I think it's really special album, and I certainly don't agree with the "jazz fans should look elsewhere" critique.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
In any case, I can see it's maybe not for everyone. Personally I think it's really special album, and I certainly don't agree with the "jazz fans should look elsewhere" critique.
Yes, that comment is harsh.

There are two really great albums called BLUE LIGHTS VOLUME 1 and VOLUME 2 by KENNY BURRELL that feature Junior Cook as well as Tina Brooks on tenors. Hard-bop overload!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,203 Posts
That's a good album but it's really hard to find at the moment. I really like those hard bop guys. Joe Henderson with Silver and Lee Morgan. Tina Brooks is fantastic. I've got all his albums and stuff like Freddie Redd's Shades of Redd which is superb. Such a shame he never sorted himself out. Some of these guys didn't get the limelight becuase they weren't really pushing at boundaries. The Coltranes and Parkers got the headlines, but these guys turned in fabulous performances time and time again. Bluesy, swinging jazz. Great stuff.
From what I've heard of Junior Cook he's right up there. Horace Silver's albums are classics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts