2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
Nobby Keys (Derek) has foolishly passed the baton over to me :)
After deliberating for most of the month I decided to forget all that and nominate 'The Sidewinder'
It wasn't an official TOTM but in the past I did a colaboration example with the talented SACTOPETE.
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=9128019&q=hi&newref=1

cheers, Mark.
Ahhh, the TOTM from the Beginners/Intermediates thread: May 2010, about time you guys catch up! :mrgreen: As I recall I had a bad flu that month and didn't do a take, in fact I think there were only three or four versions done then. Here is my second chance to give it a go.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Ahhh, the TOTM from the Beginners/Intermediates thread: May 2010, about time you guys catch up! :mrgreen: As I recall I had a bad flu that month and didn't do a take, in fact I think there were only three or four versions done then. Here is my second chance to give it a go.
Yeah, here was my take from two years ago. As bad as this is, I'm not sure I could play it any better now. Kinda depressing...

Sidewinding kinda mess

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Well, I thought this was gonna be an easy one.....

Wilbur - Really liked the take with Sactopete. The trading was really nice and absolutely needed in a tune like this. I almost wish that I had someone to do this one with as I tend to run out of ideas fairly quickly and resort to playing somewhat primitive rhythmic phrases.

Cleger - Getting a good sound out. Fuzzy. Careful with those rhythms in the head. I had a lot of trouble reading this chart there's one spot with two B naturals in a row and it didn't sound right to me. You also have the same trouble as me I can detect, which is telegraphing your lines so they don't sound rigid. It's harder than I thought to make something spontaenious while playing around the changes and not right smack dab on them.

Here's my take

www.soundcloud.com/seanwintersax/the-sidewinder

I can hear a lot of things that need to be changed. I was getting a little frustrated at this one. I hear a lot of stuff that I like and a lot that I don't.

Listening back I can hear where the quality of the tone starts to go down when I'm hanging around playing in the palm keys. They sound fine when I only play one or two notes but anymore and It makes me go ewww.

This was a lot longer than I really wanted to do it. Creativity kinda goes out the window after about the 3rd chorus. Ideally I would have played the head 3 choruses and the head fade out. Thats my biggest criticism of this is that I run out of ideas and have trouble playing around the changes making it sound natural.

Some of the double time stuff is pretty cool I think.

I also wanted to record two tracks so I could do the harmonies but I just cut and pasted and transposed into another track to make the harmonies here. My Kid needed to sleep and the girlfriend yelled down at me "Sean! You've been playing the same thing for an hour and Sebastian needs to Sleep!"

I'm gonna do this one again in a couple of weeks (Maybe with my new Phil-Tone Equinox when it comes). Listen to more versions practice some different ideas so that I have more to draw from and work on connecting those ideas around the changes.

Any other suggestions would be mucho appreciated.

Enjoy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
littlewailer - I thought you did an excellent job there and I didn't sense a drop off in the improv whatsoever. It's funny how we can so harshly judge our own playing. If I could do half that well I would be a happy man. I really enjoyed that.

Mark - Nice to hear the collaboration with Pete again, as good as I remember. I am eager to see what you bring to it this time.

Edit - (to comment on the video below without adding another post) Hak- Whatever that camara was it picks up sound well, love your tone there! Nice tasteful solo as well. It's hard to not comment on your playing partner..let's just say I was listening to you and looking at her.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,251 Posts
Here's a live version on youtube. This is my first time playing this tune, and the 'band' had just met each other a couple of hours earlier. The endings a bit rough....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muYeSbwnYUU

·
SOTW Administrator
26,251 Posts
Edit - (to comment on the video below without adding another post) Hak- Whatever that camara was it picks up sound well, love your tone there! Nice tasteful solo as well. It's hard to not comment on your playing partner..let's just say I was listening to you and looking at her.
Ha! The video was synced later to the board mix. Andrea is not only easy on the eyes, but she can PLAY, and the rest are equally fun to play with, but I really dig Sammy K's drumming. He's a consummate pro. It's nice when you're the worst thing in the band--you get your but kicked into playing better.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
With all apologies to Lee Morgan and anyone else involved, here's my quick and dirty attempt (including some atrocious sight reading) on alto and tenor... warts and all....

The Scaramanga

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
With all apologies to Lee Morgan and anyone else involved, here's my quick and dirty attempt (including some atrocious sight reading) on alto and tenor... warts and all....

The Scaramanga
well, you made me laugh in the head. not a bad thing. I did think it was cool how you maintained the same rhythmic variation on both horns at some spots. I thought it was a mistake but you did it with both of them so I guess not.

Cool.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Was just listening to Lee Morgan playing it correctly, I butchered that pretty bad. Ouch. I was hurrying to get something recorded, not sure when I'd get back to this one.

Yeah, some of those Real Book charts arent the easiest to read...needed to practice that a bit more...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,120 Posts
Hi All ! It's been some time since my last visit to the TOTM. Actually, I kept reading and listening now and then, I even made some trials on the Green Dolphin, but nothing really came to a final state. And suddenly May was over...
Since mid-April, I'm working on my tenor setup, the whole thing was triggered by a "tough-tenor" type 5tet project I'm involved in. (GAS with an excuse...)
Currently, I have a Ref36 and a S-III side-by-side, and I'm trying to find out which is the winner. So far... none. :tsk:
I'm also exploring "sexier" mouthpieces, and I'm currently set on a V16 T95 which ... could become a winner.
Came the new TOTM: an opportunity to record both horns on The Sidewinder.
So, there we go: Ref36 sidewinding against S-III.
Forgot to say: the 36 is on the left, 1st head, 1st chorus and 1st in the trading 4s.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,120 Posts
1 - 20 of 69 Posts