Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have all of the Aebersold blues play-alongs, and several by an outfit called Five Feathers music, which are more rock oriented.

I particularly like the "Blues in All Keys" Aebersold CD. I like to incorporate a couple of blues choruses in every key into my daily practice. With that CD, I can just set the player on random and then skip from track to track and do that pretty quickly. On most of them, he announces the key.

However, I would like something similar that moves along at a faster clip: "Jump Blues in All Keys." I've obviously got some recording I can play along with, but they tend to be bunched in a couple of keys. Playing bari and tenor with rockers and jazzers, I really do hit most every key, and need to practice in all of them on a regular basis.

Anyone know of anything? If there is nothing out there like this, one of you enterprising teacher/entreprenuers ought to create one.

Scott

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
I'd buy that--so long as the instrumentation was reasonably vintage sounding.

Pete Thomas had this killer digitized play along thing based on Lee Allen's "Walkin with Mr Lee" on the web for a while.

That's the sort of Jump Blues playalong I'd really go for: a famous head, even a transcribed solo, and then a bunch of choruses for you, then back to the head. It wouldn't be hard at all to do something like that in all keys; not for a talented guy like Pete Thomas, that is.

R.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
I'm not NHOP or Christian McBride but I used to play upright bass before I switched to saxophone. I'd be willing to record a blues in each key on the upright bass if you can find a drummer to record with a metronome. Have him record like 10 choruses for each blues, send the audio files to me, I'll record the bass. Then, we'll have to find a pianist to comp on it and it's done. It wouldn't be a very jazzy recording as we wouldn't be playing together but it sure would be a cool thing to play-along with.

I recorded some bass on this track that was recorded by sotw's rcwjd in the first place if you want to check it out...

Next step would be to mix all of that the Aebersold way (drums in center, bass on the left and piano on the right) and find a host so that sotwers can download the files for free!!! If this thing can be done, I can take care of the mixing/mastering and hosting (I think eSnips would do the trick).

Victor.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Oh yeah, one more thing. When you say jump/blues do you mean like louis jordan's stuff with the piano playing boogie and such or would you just need a faster version of the Aebersold blues thing?

Victor.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
If you pick up Dennis Taylor's Blues Saxophone Book and CD it has the backing on one channel and Taylor on the other, tunes similar to Big Jay, Lee Allen, Etc.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,024 Posts
magical pig said:
Oh yeah, one more thing. When you say jump/blues do you mean like louis jordan's stuff with the piano playing boogie and such or would you just need a faster version of the Aebersold blues thing?

Victor.
A faster version of Aebersold would not be a jump blues. Louis Jordon, yes! This would be cool. I don't think there is anything like a jump blues playalong in all keys.

·
2,312 Posts
Jump blues playalong in all keys? I'm in. Something along the lines of Wynonie Harris' "Down Boy Down" would work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jump Blues

What I had in mind were tunes like "Jump, Jive and Wail." I'm not sure what the exact definition of of jump blues is. But what I'm think of are blues tunes that swing hard an move along at a good clip.

Though some other styles of high-speed blues would be useful as well.

I suppose I could go through my I-pod and see what I have in the way of actual tunes and how they line up in terms of keys. Switching from tenor to bari would help double the coverage. I could always use a computer program to move them up or down into other keys.

Creating somthing with Band in a Box is also a possibility, though I tend not to like the midi tracks. Has anyone checked out the new version, which supposedly used real sampled drums.

I do have that Dennis Taylor book/cd. Some of those move along at a pretty good clip. I will check that out as well.

Based on the number of Blues Societies in the US and the number of players out there, you would think there would be a market for something like this that someone could exploit.

But for now, I guess I'll just see what I can cobble together on on my own.

If I find I can get most keys covered with songs that are availble through I-tunes, I will try and get back to this thread and post a playlist.

Scott

·
2,008 Posts
I've got a Playalong book & CD called "Swing" by Guest Spot. It's got heads and written-out simple solos for 10 tunes, mostly in the Jump Jive vein.
  • Ain't Nobody Here but Us Chickens
  • Flying Home
  • Hit that Jive Jack
  • I'm Getting Sentimental Over You
  • Is You Is or Is You Ain't my Baby ?
  • Jump, Jive an' Wail
  • Perdido
  • Swing that Music
  • Tuxedo Junction
  • Zoot Suit Riot

The backings are OK but tracks are fairly short. There are 6 different key signatures used, but you could certainly alter tempos, key and track length with a bit of clever use of audio software like SoundForge.

I'd certainly be keen to get another Jump style Playalong.

Rhys

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Well I mainly was a ryhtm'n'blues upright bass player so my offer still stands if you want to make a Saxontheweb Play-along available for free.

Victor.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Might wanna download some audio editting program, so you can speed them up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts