Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm still playin on a selmer c* and I need a new piece. I play lead in the band, but the combo wants to check out rock, funk, and smooth jazz. I have a dark sound, want a brighter one and have read tons of forums on this. I have come down to these two mouthpieces, the jumbo java and runyon custom jazz.(Because I've heard lots of good things about both of them and PRICE. I know jody jazz are good but I don't have the money for them.) Which piece of the two would give me the best tone for these styles and still fit into the section?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I've played both pieces before... The opening and reed would contribute more, or less to the sounds, yet in general I think the Jumbo would suit you better for whatcha looking for... yet, the Runyon Custom with the right reed (plus the spoiler) would make a great alternative too (especially if you have to compete with the electric guitars)...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both good mouthpieces, the one that will sound best is the one that you get the best sound on, if you know what I mean.
Thanks for the input DanSax. And Pete, I understand you, but could I order both mouthpieces and try them out? I can't really choose one without playin on it, and the local store doesn't have either...

BTW I'm a fan of your website! =)

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
Thanks for the input DanSax. And Pete, I understand you, but could I order both mouthpieces and try them out? I can't really choose one without playin on it, and the local store doesn't have either...

BTW I'm a fan of your website! =)
Thanks!

Yes, that would be ideal. Some stores let you try out a couple of mouthpieces if you leave credit card details as security.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,390 Posts
Man, If I was you... I would get an off the shelf Meyer 7MM with the Phil Woods .081" tip opening and go to town, It's perfect for lead, perfect for R&B , perfect for Bebop, and perfect for rock. The tone is fatter than the jumbo java, which is a smooth jazz mouthpiece. Now, I like the Runyon custom, Art Pepper played a red one in the 1970's and it sounded killer! The most popular lead alto mouthpiece from the 1970's and 1980's was the
Claude Lakey 4x4. More cats used those at North Texas State back in the day, but I still used my Meyer 7MM. I just performed my last USAF gig with the Nighthawk Jazz combo, and the alto never sounded or felt better. Mark 6 ,Meyer 7MM, Vandoren green box Java's 3.5.
My friend just got one of those Drake Hard rubber pieces . it has a wedge inside but it perfect for rock and blues... I am used to New York Chamber mouthpieces.Hard rubber, Roll over baffle and Hollowed out side walls, Flat table and round chamber.
It's the bomb!!!!!Meyer hard rubber 7MM, or even try out one of the greatest mouthpieces ever... Otto Link tone edge hard rubber 6*,
Go for it!!

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Man, If I was you... I would get an off the shelf Meyer 7MM with the Phil Woods .081" tip opening and go to town, It's perfect for lead, perfect for R&B , perfect for Bebop, and perfect for rock. The tone is fatter than the jumbo java, which is a smooth jazz mouthpiece.

Oh really? This guy's on a Jumbo Java.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,003 Posts
I found the custom jazz to 'small'/compact feeling in the sound, maybe its just the one I got, who knows.
I prefer the regular runyon custom to it, much freer blowing and less one dimensional.

However, I would prefer a regular Vandoren java to the jumbo javas.

Having played and owned plenty of meyer type mouthpieces they're not for me. My preferred set-up is a re-worked soloist.

Horses for courses really- try lots of mouthpieces, get something in the ballpark of your concept, find some records you like and go away and practice for a few years.

Bear in mind with videos like the one of Charles McNeal, who's a fine player, that it only shows only side of the mouthpieces qualities. We don't get to hear how it plays when he's really putting air through the horn.....which makes me ask, can you play loud and still with a sweeter sound on a jumbo java?
Personally I think there are more flexible mouthpieces out there.
I had an RPC 80B earlier this year, which I've since sold, but I tried it against a jumbo java and the RPC ran rings around it in terms of versatility. The regular java, on the other hand, was pretty close.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Bear in mind with videos like the one of Charles McNeal, who's a fine player, that it only shows only side of the mouthpieces qualities. We don't get to hear how it plays when he's really putting air through the horn.....which makes me ask, can you play loud and still with a sweeter sound on a jumbo java?
Excellent point.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I used to play on a JJ, but it always felt like a compromise between rock and jazz. It's a nice genre-flexible piece, however. Now I keep two pieces in my case, but if I could only have one for life, the JJ would be in the discussion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
well, finally got a good combo. I had played for years on metal links. my last was a 9* on very hard reeds. I was younger and relentless in my quest for volume. well after many mouthpieces, dukoff, bari, plastic links, jody jazz, etc.. i got a beechler bellite metal 8 on #2 plasticoat reeds. very bright very hard sound. piercing. not easy to play but will rise above any other horn no problems. I noticed that playing a long time was difficult and playing very very soft was also difficult. Just received a jumbojava z75 with optimum ligature... very nice.. raucous but in control compared with my beechler. the high notes are not as strong as the beechler but easy to hit altissimo and notes up there.. its when I tried a composite legere #2 reed when it happened... it was that sound.. extremely easy to blow.. easy to hit all notes and bull bodied and bright all the way up...i can play extremely quite low b flats or double hi b etc.. can be very soft for ballads and can fill the room with sound.. very bright sound. the harder i blow, the brighter it gets.. love it. also, none of that reed maintenance required of all sax players. i hardly even wet it, slammed it on the mouthpiece...and away i went. loved it. the plastic is comfortable to play and feel i can play forever. I am now sticking to this combo and my tone will only get better. I am very happy with my sound... its one of the better sounds to my ears. I am a stickler for tone quality. just thought I would share. finding the right sound is a painstaking task and expensive

1 - 15 of 15 Posts