Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying one of these mouthpieces.
Jumbo Java A35 or Diamond inlay S6S.

I know that both of these two mouthpieces have high baffle which makes the sound very edge...

I would like to know the difference between Jumbo java and diamond inlay.

If you have tried these 2 mouthpiece... please tell me some differences...

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have a Jumbo Java a45 and a S6S. The Jumbo Java to me has some more body in the sound and its also easier playing in the altissimo register. The S6S is even brighter than the Jumbo and it has less body too the sound. The jumbo for me was a lot louder piece than the s6s. Out of the two I think the Jumbo Java is the one to go with to me its just a better piece. The Jumbo's also have a lot better consistency than beechler and they are actually made out of hard rubber. The Beechlers appear to be made out of a rubber plastic mix. The best way to figure it out is just test both though thats the only way you will really know what works for you. Everyone plays different so only you can make the final decision.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I had the same experience as sopranosaxman when I was trialing those pieces.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
While Beechlers fix up nicely if you want metal brightness and edge without metal in your mouth, they are usually a complete squeaky raspy mess. Go with the Vandoren - ditto all of the above - fuller sound, etc...

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Did you check intonation? For me, playing alto in tune on a small-chamber mouthpiece such as the Beechler S6S or Lakey is very difficult. It's hard to find a mouthpiece placement on the cork that will work for the entire range. But some people have no problem, so it is a personal thing.

I can do better on a large-chamber high-baffle mouthpiece such as a Dukoff or Vandoren Jumbo Java.

The two designs have different sounds.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,617 Posts
Id say go with the jumbo a45.ive played them both also. the beechlers tune a little sharper so they are a little tougher to play in tune.For me the jumbo is a great mouthpiece. pretty versatile and can hold its own with the guitars etc.. I use a jumbo on tenor too and they are hard to beat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate your advices~

I'm going to try out few jumbo javas soon...

Thanks again~!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts