Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jumbo Java vs. Berg Larsen 0(highest baffle)

and which has less of a piercing edge to it? I want a warm, somewhat dark, buzzy edge not a high pitched shrill metallic edge.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,269 Posts
In my limited experience with both of those, they are both dark for really bright mouthpieces. Basically, they're not as bright as a Dukoff, but pretty bright. If you want a warm, dark sound, a /2 chamber berg or Vandoren V16 hard rubber might do it for you better than either of those two.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I own both a Jumbo Java T95 and a Berg 120/0. I play a 275xxx selmer mark VII. To me, the Jumbo java sounds warmer on the bottom range, but brighter on the upper range compared to the berg. The berg has it's own sound, almost like a fuzzy edge to the sound, and the upper range wasn't as shrill as I thought it would be. The bottom range is thinner sounding than the Jumbo. The Berg really likes the altissimo range, the notes pop right out.

I think the Jumbo had a more flexible sound, I can shape the sound somewhat with it and back off some of the edge for ballads. The Berg just has a less flexible sound to me, not bad but not as versatile.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
480 Posts
I'm with Dirty on the /2 chamber. It's bright, but not overly so. When I play a stock Jumbo, it's pretty edgy and not buzzy at all. If you want some edge and buzz, put a little baffle in an STM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts