Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everybody,
sometimes I look for a more edgy, cutting sound to hear something different out of my sax.

In the past I've tried many "contemporary" mpcs with small chamber, more baffle, spoiler, etc
Middle and high registers were ok but with a good 70% of them the low register always resulted enough hard and closed

The Jumbo Java or the new V16-Small are among these?

Naturally every suggestion also respect to other brands is welcome, but please on hr/ebo mpcs only (I don't use anymore metal pieces...)

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
senior said:
Not sure what it is you are asking...
Thanks for your post...

I meant to ask if these mouthpieces are also easy on low registers, if someone has tried them...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
Try a Morgan 9EL or an RPC 110R. Big low end, big sound, good edge in the high end. A nice HR alternative to the typical high baffle/small chamber fare.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes bfoster64,
they are two of the very finest, excellent choices (however I speak of alto not tenor...:D )

I have noticed that you think about the Excalibur "L" chamber (round)
perhaps for a best result on low registers?

Without doubt the RPC is another very good choice, but... what a price...
I am fear that it is out of my budget... :(

Thanks so much!!:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use morgans for both alto and tenor. I have both e and el so I can see the difference. For alto I use a 6e, I like the sound and response over the entire range of the instrument. The 6el played the same but I liked the sound of the e a better, a little brighter, for what I use it for. Hope this can be of some help and if you have any questions just let me know.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i played a jumbo java for a while...with the A75 facing. the low end was fantastic with that piece...especially for lush subtones. check out greg osby, that's what piece he uses and he's got a great low end sound. when i hear him i always think "he sounds like he plays tenor on alto."

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dpmusic
i played a jumbo java for a while...with the A75 facing. the low end was fantastic with that piece...especially for lush subtones. check out greg osby, that's what piece he uses and he's got a great low end sound. when i hear him i always think "he sounds like he plays tenor on alto."

Lament
I use morgans for both alto and tenor. I have both e and el so I can see the difference. For alto I use a 6e, I like the sound and response over the entire range of the instrument. The 6el played the same but I liked the sound of the e a better, a little brighter, for what I use it for. Hope this can be of some help and if you have any questions just let me know.
:) :) THANKS FOR ALL SUGGESTIONS!! :) :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts