Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone played a Vandoren Jumbo J. or Java piece with a T97 facing on tenor? Just curious as to how open these pieces play.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
I once ordered a Jumbo Java T97 from WWBW. Despite the wide opening, it didn't feel much different than my Dukoff D7 (.105) openeing. This is probably due to the high baffle.I liked the ease of playing the altissimo notes and it was fairly easy to voice the lower notes.I should have kept it but I didn't think it was so different from the stuff I owned at the time.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone else have any experience with these pieces or the T95 opening? I ordered two blue ones from saxplus. A Java T95 and a Jumbo T97.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,320 Posts
I have a woodwind company stencil with the "ML" facing...its basically a Java T97 stencil...blue rubber too. If you didnt know it had a large tip opening, you wouldnt know from playing it. You can get them from www.starvingstudentsmusic.com for $35 last time I checked, and that included the Vandoren masters lig and metal cap. They are a steal at that money, even better if you win one of squeely dans auctions for $29

I havent played a Jumbo...they have a reputation for being very bright / baffely. not the same as a Java at all IMO.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I just sold a blue Jumbo T95 on ebay(once he pays) but anyway. Bright but a good core to the sound. I played it for a while with my last band, but it hasn't seen much action lately. Played it with #3 fibracell or #3 plasticover and a Rovner light lig. I liked it, but its a bigger bite than I like and for the past 18 months I have been really using my Bootman Link exclusively.

·
3,320 Posts
HeavyWeather77 said:
I played a blue Java (not Jumbo) T95 for a long time. I really liked it, even though I don't use it any more. It played very well for me with Lavoz MH or RJS 3M Filed reeds. It was relatively easy to play considering how open it is, I wonder if these use a shorter facing curve...
According to the Vandoren charts the T95 has a long facing....
http://www.vandoren.fr/en/saxotenor.html

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
I still have my blue T95 Java (not jumbo), I havn't used it in 8 years but I test it out once in a while.The best reeds I found that worked on it were Rico Royals but it doesn't work very well with trad. Vandorens, which is what I play now.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting and a little disconcerning that every posted, used to play a Java or Jumbo as opposed to currently playing one. Why did you guys move away from the Java's/Jumbo Java's?

·
3,320 Posts
BobD said:
Interesting and a little disconcerning that every posted, used to play a Java or Jumbo as opposed to currently playing one. Why did you guys move away from the Java's/Jumbo Java's?
I still play that one, but I have a V16 coming to me in the mail (i hope)

Its just a bit...boring.. I suppose...there is a lack of depth / intensity to it...maybe thats me though rather than the "java"

I'll be using it in the Xmas parades though I expect. There is nothing "wrong" with it, its maybe the Toyota of the mouthpiece world...competent but it just doesnt set my pulse racing...

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here a question about facing curve. Why would the Java T95 have a longer facing curve than a T97 Jumbo Java? Is it because the baffle in the jumbo makes the larger openings easier to play than the rollover baffle in the regular Java?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Canadian,

If the Java was a bit boring aren't you worried that the V16 will be the same. The most prominent complaint about the V16 is that it's boring. Or, were you talking about the HR V16?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That should be a good piece. I'm actually gonna compare a stock HR V16 T8 against these two Java's I'm getting.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
404 Posts
BobD said:
Canadian,

If the Java was a bit boring aren't you worried that the V16 will be the same. The most prominent complaint about the V16 is that it's boring. Or, were you talking about the HR V16?
Mouthpieces aren't boring, players are boring...:)
I have a tenor v16 and it is a nice piece.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts