Sax on the Web Forum banner

Jumbo Java or Bellite

10K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  saxguymatt 
#1 ·
Well since its almost Christmas my mom would get me something and I'm deciding on a mouthpiece. Right now it's between a Beechler Bellite 6/7 or a Vandoren Jumbo Java A45. I'm looking for a mouthpiece that I can hit high notes with ease and growl on them, also not a nasally (spelling?word?) sound. Being used for big band and jazz combo. I got the schools C* for classical kind music. Obviously the java is alot cheaper but mom said under $200. Right now I'm using this modified mouthpiece that I don't know the name of. I can hit the high notes nicely but it honks when I try to growl unless its like E3 or lower. Its not limited to just those but below $200 if you suggest anything else please. Oh, by the way I play alto

#2 ·
I have never used a Jumbo Java but have many years of experience with a Bellite on tenor. The upper range (palm keys and altissimo) just screamed for me and it fit the style (rock, R&B) very well for me. As far as the growling goes, I suggest you work on it by listening to great "growlers". One of the recordings I admired was "Caliente!" by Gato Barbieri. Take a phrase you like and try to match the tone on the recording. Do it over and over until you are pleased with result, then move to another phrase. Learn to turn the growl on or off and how "singing" a different pitch can affect the growl. A used mouthpiece can also be a great option. There are some members on this forum that often have pieces that would be good for you at prices considerably less than new. I suggest you have a sax teacher give you some advice before you drop $200.00. There may be some good options available for you at a lower price point. Mouthpieces are very "personal" choices and what works for one player does not necessarily work for another. Go into a good music store with your sax and try a bunch of different pieces. Different reed strengths and brands also make a big difference in tone and mouthpiece responce. Tell them you are after a fairly bright tone (Bellite is quite bright IMO) in a 6 or 7 opening. The Bellite I used for so long was a 6. I replaced it with a 7 a couple years ago that I prefer now, but never thought about changing it while I was gigging regularly.

#3 ·
Well I can growl pretty good but when I go into the alitissimo range the notes just go away. Like you know that honking sound you get if you didn't hit the note. I just get that. Would that be mouthpiece, embouchure, reed, growling technique? I growl using that singing/humming technique and it usually sounds good as long as it not near the note I'm playing. If its not the mouthpiece I'll work on it right away, that'll save my mom a bunch of $$$.
Oh, maybe I'll have some decent soundclips on Sunday because I got a concert on Saturday. I don't think we'll be mic'd so I am blowing super hard. Could that be the reason? Is it even possible to growl on G4+?

#4 ·
Having had a Beechler 7 bellite and a 8 tip i now play on a Jumbo java.1st 1 i had was the A95 but sold that and got the A75 JUMBO JAVA.Side by side the jumbo wipe's the floor with the beechler for sound,ease of playing,altissimo,full range of horn,well eveything.As for alto i have never been more happy with my set up combo.The jumbo java is for me total freedom on alto.Cant see me getting rid of it as it is all i want in the alto sound of thing's.Stick on a reed and off i go.The beechlers i had were much more hard work,stuffy and a swine to find a good reed on.

G
#5 ·
I have 2 jazz mouthpieces on my alto, A Jumbo Java and a Morgan. I only use the morgan for quiet extra smooth ballad playing. but most of the time i use my Jumbo Java, It is an amazing mouthpiece. It is a very good altissimo mouthpiece too.

the airy sound is not due to the mouthpiece as much as it is due to having too hard a reed with it. I use big enough jazz mouthpeices that i cant use the same reeds i use with my classical ones, I have whole sets of different reeds i use for jazz.

for growling, you have to take it easier on the humming when you get in the altissimo range. experiment with it some. For some odd reason, I notice that altissimo A is an easy altissimo note to growl on, you might get used to growling it then expand from there. (the first one, not the second one for you squealers who get way up there)

#6 ·
sorry to bring up such an old post but i just found an A45 at our school so I'm using that and a berg larsen that is similar to one i made of putty that couldn't last really long. I use the berg larsen for general big band use and the java when I gotta play super high since it's easy but squeaks on the regular register. I think I went up 1 octave over palm F with a vandoren classic lolol. berg larsen only up to C

#8 ·
I have had 2 Beechler bellite 8's and a jumbo java A95 but now play jumbo java A75 alto mp and for me the jumbo's are way better in free blowing,sound,tone and range.I felt theres only 1 sound you get with the bellites but the jumbo's are more flexible but each to his own.Had many pieces,metal and hr but for alto the jumbo java is by far the best piece i have played and i love there sound,altissimo is superb also.I use a Rico H ligature on mine and it sing's.

#9 ·
I found that the jumbo java can thin out and become shrill while the beechler maintains alot of depth and warmth. If you get the beechler, I warn you that the piece is difficult to play at first. You have to find the right reed and let you embouchure adjust to it. But after that, I think you will find to be superior to the java in tone and response.

#10 ·
I have played them both on alto and sold the Beechler and currently play the Jumbo Java A95. I like both but the Beechler seemed to have funny quarks about it and was very reed picky. The Jumbo Java doesn't seem to sacrifice as much of the low end for the top end gain.

As for the growling on altissimo, keep in mind that the shape of the oral cavity (mouth throat ect) in conjunction with embouchure is what gives the altissimo the ability to speak. If you are changing that shape of the oral cavity when trying to add the growl you may lose the tone. Just keep that in mind. Try hitting the altissimo note, holding it and then add the growl without changing the shape of your oral cavity or embouchure. Best of luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.