Sax on the Web Forum banner

July TOTM: Equinox by John Coltrane

7K views 69 replies 12 participants last post by  swperry1 
#1 · (Edited)
My turn to pick a song of the month and since the summer solstice this year seemed particularly powerful I'm going Trane with Equinox. A powerhouse melodic statement that's easy to get under the fingers and interesting to blow over as a modal minor blues. Yes, I'm aware that some folks play this tune in C minor, not the C#/ Db minor that I learned it in and have lead sheets for. There's backings online in both keys that sound true to the tune and some that are just the changes without the signature pulse in the bass, they all work just fine. Thank you for being cool with transposing this very easy melody down a half step from the lead sheet provided if you go with the C- backings...or for being super interesting and playing a half-step off the whole way through!

Attachments

#63 ·
Thank you to everyone who participated, listened, commented, and otherwise made this a fun thread with lots of great submissions. Why not close the month as a proper host should.

I got home really late but everyone was out and I wanted to play. After doing a quick version of Little Sunflower on the B&I thread I found this hip Equinox backing. Listened through to see how many choruses it is and hit record...enjoy my noodles!

The guitar's a bit lax on the tuning, but I'm definitely going to check out their catalog/ youtube page for other cool tracks. They're called Jazz Doblestandard.

#64 ·
You weren't kidding on the tuning of that guitar, but man I love that track! The bass and drum kicks - love the way the feel altered up at about 1:00. I love the way you keep a jazzy feel but totally play some killer funk/fock fusion style too. Awesome stuff! Definitely going to check out the tracks! I was actually thinking of doing a similar different feel for Little Sunflower - had a really cool double time track for it, just couldn't find a groove on it.

#67 ·
My first post. Let me know if it is ok to post yds-150 content. I realize it is not really a saxophone.
I played for about four years and took a 22 year break because I couldn't practice quietly.
A few months ago the yds inspired me to pick it up again. Also I purchased a yamaha yts-21. Once a week I have been renting a rehearsal space and blowing on the real thing.
I see a lot of great pro sounding players on here. I am trying to think melodies but I think I might sound too noodley.
Thanks for listening.

#68 ·
Welcome to SOTW Jagbo. :)

I liked your take, very nice. Thanks for sharing and hope to see more of you in future TOTM threads (we have two of them).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.