Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Well, i had a week long vacation and didn't play the horn at all. I'm feeling rusty already - but here's what I've gotten so far this month - hoping to dial this in (a lot) and get a much more refined take out. Hope the Kenny Garrett influence is at least noticeable!

Yeah, Man! I like how you move between the 4 and 3 feel quite a bit with your phrases, as this tune is purposely ambiguous in this way. Even when you weren’t working off the melody I could still hear the changes. You’re sounding a lot more confident and less tongue tied.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,193 Posts
Yeah, Man! I like how you move between the 4 and 3 feel quite a bit with your phrases, as this tune is purposely ambiguous in this way. Even when you weren’t working off the melody I could still hear the changes. You’re sounding a lot more confident and less tongue tied.
Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback. I definitely hijacked some rhythms from Garrett - probably listened to that song 10000 times (one of my favorite albums), which probably has helped me a bundle on this for getting into the rhythms. That said, i'm going to keep polishing it, and hopefully have a really refined take for the end of the month!

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
Here's a take I did today. I tried making a video. I had to manually line up the audio but I think it's good.

Nicely done! Really felt you laying back and relaxing a bit on this take! Had a coltrane-esque tone as well. I did feel that you were so relaxed on it that sometimes you got a ways behind the beat. Your solo had a great flow as well. Sometimes it wandered away from the changes a bit - and others it felt that you lost the time - but never obtrusively, which made for an all around great take! Well done! BTW - It must be really hard to play saxophone with no head! :LOL:

·
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Here's a take I did today. I tried making a video. I had to manually line up the audio but I think it's good.

You lined up the audio but chopped off your head 🤣
About halfway through you seemed to loosen up a bit and start to let it flow a little more naturally. I think reigning in and having more intent with some of your ideas is the next step…like The last time through when you were riffing off the melody. Nice work!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Nicely done! Really felt you laying back and relaxing a bit on this take! Had a coltrane-esque tone as well. I did feel that you were so relaxed on it that sometimes you got a ways behind the beat. Your solo had a great flow as well. Sometimes it wandered away from the changes a bit - and others it felt that you lost the time - but never obtrusively, which made for an all around great take! Well done! BTW - It must be really hard to play saxophone with no head! :LOL:
One advantage to losing your head is fewer embouchure problems, though it takes some getting used to!😉

Definitely on listening back I can hear that I was behind the beat - especially lining up with the bass at the end of the head in and out. There were definitely a couple spots where it got a little away from me, I was very much trying to mess around with the tonality a bit but maybe I should work out some more structured lines.

I've been working on that tone, I'm glad it came out well. I came into jazz through Coltrane and his sound always appealed to me. A lot of my influences are tenor players and finding the tone I want on alto is a journey. I recently saw a YouTube clip of Eric Alexander talking about sound, where he says a lot of the old guys sort of sub toned throughout the range and you should start the tone with air. Using that concept with my Lakey has brought me closer to the sound I like. I sort of argue with myself over this but I keep picking up the Lakey over my other mouthpieces. I feel like the bright sound is a bit more risky or harder to keep in the envelope, a dark tone at worst becomes too tame or a bit colorless but it won't offend.
You lined up the audio but chopped off your head 🤣
About halfway through you seemed to loosen up a bit and start to let it flow a little more naturally. I think reigning in and having more intent with some of your ideas is the next step…like The last time through when you were riffing off the melody. Nice work!
Thanks! Yeah, I was trying to take some weight off my shoulders but maybe I went too far...😂 More seriously I have some ideas about what to do with the channel and I'm not sure whether I want to show my face or not. But I want to move to YouTube and hopefully eventually do live streaming (if my internet can handle it). I figure I better start putting videos up either way, this was definitely a test of putting things together.

It's always a struggle between reining it in and letting it go. It took me a bit to get lines that worked but my tendency once I have it somewhat comfortable is to see if I can push it. Then I go back to trying to work out lines that are more structured again.

·
Registered
709 Posts
very busy days but I wanted to at least stamp the card.

Quick and dirty playing my new Performance:

Ciao

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
As we are nearing the end of the month of July, I am again seeking hosts for the upcoming August TOTM and B&I TOTM.

Please shoot me a PM if you're interested and I'm happy to accomodate anyone who wants to host but may not have the backing tracks or sheet music!

I hope that everyone has really enjoyed the wonderful choice of tune from swperry1 - Equinox. Also - I know I've got another take coming very soon, and hopefully many more are on the way! Looking forward to hearing everyone!

·
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
As we are nearing the end of the month of July, I am again seeking hosts for the upcoming August TOTM and B&I TOTM.

Please shoot me a PM if you're interested and I'm happy to accomodate anyone who wants to host but may not have the backing tracks or sheet music!

I hope that everyone has really enjoyed the wonderful choice of tune from swperry1 - Equinox. Also - I know I've got another take coming very soon, and hopefully many more are on the way! Looking forward to hearing everyone!
I’m trying to get another take out as well. Haven’t had much time at all this month and now my old mac mini/ low budget recording studio is dying…”disc too slow” errors trying to get a take last night 🤷‍♂️ If it won’t work later I might have to go rogue and use the super awesome mic on my phone 🤣

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
I’m trying to get another take out as well. Haven’t had much time at all this month and now my old mac mini/ low budget recording studio is dying…”disc too slow” errors trying to get a take last night 🤷‍♂️ If it won’t work later I might have to go rogue and use the super awesome mic on my phone 🤣
Disc too slow?! May be time to try some disk cleanup, but seems like that drive may be on its last legs! Hopefully things work out, but I wouldn't hate to hear a Phone recording :). Either way, time was limited as it always seems to be in the Summer. But it has been a blast learning this month on this tune - I'm hoping all my work pays off in my upcoming take and looking forward to hearing yours!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had that problem with my iMac 2011 setup, so I bought a new Mini with a SSD. SSD will help a lot if you 're doing multitrack with Logic or Garageband in the MacOS domain. My old iMac has an SSD now as well, but I use the new one for all recording now.

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
I had that problem with my iMac 2011 setup, so I bought a new Mini with a SSD. SSD will help a lot if you 're doing multitrack with Logic or Garageband in the MacOS domain. My old iMac has an SSD now as well, but I use the new one for all recording now.
Ah good point - if its just based purely off disk speed - SSD would accomplish the feat. Although theoretically this could be accomplished with an external SSD and all of your record being sent directly to that - which is a far cheaper fix than buying a new computer, and probably a better option than cracking open anything from Mac to put in a new internal!

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
Still seeking hosts for August 2021 TOTM and B&I TOTM! Please reach out if you're interested in calling a tune this weekend!

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
Well - not quite where I wanted to be with this, but definitely had fun with the tune and editting! Hope you enjoy some Eb instruments for my take, Eb-uinox.

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
Still seeking a host for the upcoming August TOTM main thread! Shoot me a PM if interested!

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
If there really is no one else I’ll jump in Jared.
Thank You Alex - still hearing crickets here, but will wait till end of day (in my time zone anyhow (approx. Another 10 hrs)

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Thank You Alex - still hearing crickets here, but will wait till end of day (in my time zone anyhow (approx. Another 10 hrs)
It’s a beautiful sunny morning here in Greytown. The birds are chirping. I’ve just had my second espresso of the day. I’ll put a little package together just in case there are no takers.

·
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Summer months are always thin in these threads. I’ve been camping and working non-music jobs so much lately I’ve only played a horn four times this whole month…still haven’t had time to work on my alto I mentioned early on 🤷‍♂️

41 - 60 of 70 Posts