Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,483 Posts
Hi Michael. You’ve changed your username? How did you do that? I don’t see the option. And a nice take by the way :cool:
Alex, you can send a request to change your SOTW-name to a moderator (Pete Thomas for instance). I did those things in the past too, but are not a moderator anymore. You can't do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Hi Michael. You’ve changed your username? How did you do that? I don’t see the option. And a nice take by the way :cool:
Alex, scroll down ... there is a topic option "change user name" in Contact us webform. Do a request... or do what Peter says.
Of course liked your Equinox :)

Reactions: mrpeebee

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Here’s my take on this one.

Alto recorded quite dry with just a tiny bit of reverb and some mild compression.
Alex, I really enjoy the way you play the melody…definitely captured a lot of that contemplative and searching late Trane sound that I love, and you carried it through the solo, which is again very well done and sounds great!

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,193 Posts
I've written out version including a transcription of Kenny Garrett's Solo if anyone is interested, I can post it up later when I get home.

·
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have been playing alto almost exactly 3 1/2 years, after listening to saxophones for about the last 50. I've heard Coltrane's Equinox a thousand times and I wouldn't have thought of trying to play it, but I wanted to see if I get get tone and feeling from the alto. There's some YDS-150 attempted tenor in the middle, but the YDS is NOT a saxophone, it's only shaped like one. I moved the Cm track up to C#m. Ouch, some bad high notes. :oops:
https://soundcloud.com/randulo%2Fequinox
randulo, Great take! I like the way you played the melody and enjoy your alto playing! When the “tenor” part comes in it’s easy to tell it’s not a saxophone…particularly on faster lines/ runs up or down where it sounds like keyboard sax sounds. Your ideas come through, but since you’re approaching it like a saxophone it feels to me like you’re not getting the most out of it. I’d enjoy hearing an all saxophone take from you, as you have a lot of creativity, nice ideas, and a nice sound: but some of it is lost in translation on the wind controller.

·
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
"Equalnothing"... bla bla bla and etc :)
Michael, Nice job! You’re a little disconnected from the backing and the melody came in on the wrong side of the clave, but when you lock into the time and form your lines really land/ hit well. I like your approach with the synth/ wind controller and wish your opening statement of the melody was as strong as the one when you picked up the synth.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thanks for your encouragement!
it’s easy to tell it’s not a saxophone
Yeah, I'll be the first to admit that. Sometimes you can purposely do short passages that might fool a few, but in this recording, it doesn't fool anyone, the articulation is terrible on some of the notes. I maintain, that the flute and harmonica sounds on the YDS can work, again in short passages, but the sax sounds are really not good. I had a Roland sound module years ago that I drove with a guitar synth, and that sampler had very much better tenor sounds.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Thanks for your encouragement!

Yeah, I'll be the first to admit that. Sometimes you can purposely do short passages that might fool a few, but in this recording, it doesn't fool anyone, the articulation is terrible on some of the notes. I maintain, that the flute and harmonica sounds on the YDS can work, again in short passages, but the sax sounds are really not good. I had a Roland sound module years ago that I drove with a guitar synth, and that sampler had very much better tenor sounds.
I thought the tenor sound was quite passable in the mid to low range. And I usually dislike synth sax sounds very much. The higher it goes the more synthetic the sound to my ears. But you used it well for sure. Nice take Randulo :cool:

·
Registered
346 Posts
I thought the tenor sound was quite passable in the mid to low range. And I usually dislike synth sax sounds very much. The higher it goes the more synthetic the sound to my ears. But you used it well for sure. Nice take Randulo :cool:
Thanks, Alex I'm honored, I've enjoyed listening to your SoundCloud recordings. I'm a fan!

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Michael, Nice job! You’re a little disconnected from the backing and the melody came in on the wrong side of the clave, but when you lock into the time and form your lines really land/ hit well. I like your approach with the synth/ wind controller and wish your opening statement of the melody was as strong as the one when you picked up the synth.
Thanks! I have no problem to play a melody as default... just felt from the begining to jump somewhere out of it... listened once and left as is :)

Reactions: swperry1

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
As promised, here's the head straight into the Kenny Garret transcription (I didn't check the head to make sure it plays the same way Kenny does)

Attachments

·
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hey All, Just spent the past 10 days camping in the shadows of the Tetons...such majestic and inspiring beauty! Chops are little bit rusty because I didn't saxsquatch it at all this time! I wanted to play/ hear myself playing my alto to get an idea of what needs adjustment before I do a COA on it tomorrow...it's not bad, but I can feel a few spots I know are leaky. I love that everyone has been playing alto on this; I think it fits the horn really well, but I can't wait to get on tenor and play it this weekend! Please enjoy.

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
Hey All, Just spent the past 10 days camping in the shadows of the Tetons...such majestic and inspiring beauty! Chops are little bit rusty because I didn't saxsquatch it at all this time! I wanted to play/ hear myself playing my alto to get an idea of what needs adjustment before I do a COA on it tomorrow...it's not bad, but I can feel a few spots I know are leaky. I love that everyone has been playing alto on this; I think it fits the horn really well, but I can't wait to get on tenor and play it this weekend! Please enjoy.

You've got a great command of the horn! The use of range was astonishing, love the way you're in charge of this one, and you had such a great way of stating new ideas as you built off the melody, which just seemed so fluid. Seems like you definitely have a connection with this song. Awesome to hear you playing, and I dig the traditional pure alto sound you've got going! Awesome work, Very pleased to hear this one!

·
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
You've got a great command of the horn! The use of range was astonishing, love the way you're in charge of this one, and you had such a great way of stating new ideas as you built off the melody, which just seemed so fluid. Seems like you definitely have a connection with this song. Awesome to hear you playing, and I dig the traditional pure alto sound you've got going! Awesome work, Very pleased to hear this one!
Thank you, Jared! Appreciate the kind words…might do another alto take later over a different backing before I take it apart, or maybe I’ll noodle on Little Sunflower 🌻

·
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Someone asked for this? True the YDS tenor was not working for me, either. I replaced the fake tenor with more alto, went a little cringworthy crazy, but it kind of works. SInce this is a punch-in (at 1:32), the logical solo structure only makes sense if we pretend this is another player. ALso, I think the reed was a Légère AC on the first and end parts, and today I was playing a Rigotti.
https://soundcloud.com/randulo%2Fequinox-knocks
Yes! Nice job…kind of a haunting sound, very cool. I heard a Pharoah Sanders version of this yesterday and am considering going full on blissful screech to the heavens for a chorus or two…then we can talk cringe 😬🤣

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
Well, i had a week long vacation and didn't play the horn at all. I'm feeling rusty already - but here's what I've gotten so far this month - hoping to dial this in (a lot) and get a much more refined take out. Hope the Kenny Garrett influence is at least noticeable!

21 - 40 of 70 Posts