Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My turn to pick a song of the month and since the summer solstice this year seemed particularly powerful I'm going Trane with Equinox. A powerhouse melodic statement that's easy to get under the fingers and interesting to blow over as a modal minor blues. Yes, I'm aware that some folks play this tune in C minor, not the C#/ Db minor that I learned it in and have lead sheets for. There's backings online in both keys that sound true to the tune and some that are just the changes without the signature pulse in the bass, they all work just fine. Thank you for being cool with transposing this very easy melody down a half step from the lead sheet provided if you go with the C- backings...or for being super interesting and playing a half-step off the whole way through!

Attachments

·
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A couple more backings. FYI, If you delete the "ube" from a youtube browser bar and hit enter, you can download the audio as an mp3.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,142 Posts
Thanks for choosing one of my all time favorite tunes by Trane (and posting my favorite version - Kenny Garrett is the perfect version of this imo!). I'm going to take this opportunity to avoid the Cminor key that I played this in previously, and learn it in C#min!

I've added this thread to the TOTM index which can be seen here: SOTW TOTM (Tune of the Month) - MAIN THREAD INDEX since...

·
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here was my previous trippy take (in Cmin) from April this year!
Yes! Love the video effect. There's a lot of good ideas and some nice playing in there. I like it best after about the 3:00 mark when it seems like you loosen up a bit and your time feel gets more comfortable and locked in...that's a long backing track for a 12-measure tune. Looking forward to a fresh take regardless of which key you choose. It seems most of the better backings I've seen on youtube are in C-

·
TOTM administrator
6,142 Posts
Yes! Love the video effect. There's a lot of good ideas and some nice playing in there. I like it best after about the 3:00 mark when it seems like you loosen up a bit and your time feel gets more comfortable and locked in...that's a long backing track for a 12-measure tune. Looking forward to a fresh take regardless of which key you choose. It seems most of the better backings I've seen on youtube are in C-
Thanks! I had a listen too and my goal is to play to the time in the song more, rather than the first 2 minutes of rambling. Want to keep that locked in feel from start to finish!

As for the tune, I have a couple of good backings in C#- I will upload for everyone here soon.

·
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I had a listen too and my goal is to play to the time in the song more, rather than the first 2 minutes of rambling. Want to keep that locked in feel from start to finish!

As for the tune, I have a couple of good backings in C#- I will upload for everyone here soon.
Great! The C#- backing on the dropbox link is a little out there and slow, but it sounds better at 1.25 speed. I could only post two on there because the "ube" trick can only be used three times in an hour and I accidentally downloaded the same one twice so really only got two!

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,468 Posts
I made some quick and dirty recordings back in June 2017 for a German forum. Recorded two takes, but I'm not so good in this kind of tunes, hence I named my two takes 'Equinichts'!

1. - 'Equinichts' PB1 (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2):

2. - 'Equinichts' PB2 (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2)

·
TOTM administrator
6,142 Posts
I made some quick and dirty recordings back in June 2017 for a German forum. Recorded two takes, but I'm not so good in this kind of tunes, hence I named my two takes 'Equinichts'!

1. - 'Equinichts' PB1 (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2):

2. - 'Equinichts' PB2 (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2)
Two Slammin takes from Peter! Very happy to hear you're 'Equinichts' - and some stellar takes with two entirely different approaches! I really enjoyed them both Peter!

·
Premium Member
750 Posts

·
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The bar is high already with these early submissions, keep it up!

@mrpeebee Dig it…I like how you managed to maintain that sultry, smoky sound you have even when you amp the energy up a bit and get into the high range, where I don’t hear you go too often. I prefer take one, not really sure why, two very good takes!

@Dave Pollack You and Dom have such a great chemistry together and I love his ability to play a super simple kit and still execute so many different ideas. I like your tenor playing a lot, alto guy 🤣 One of the things that stands out most to me is that in a duo setting both of you manage to so fluidly move between playing together, taking the lead, and comping behind the other with neither of you ever dominating the conversation. Good listeners are my favorite people to listen to and to play with.

·
TOTM administrator
6,142 Posts
Here's a duo version I did with my good buddy Dom Palombi for his YouTube channel. Hope you dig it!

Thats some stellar Playing as always Dave! So glad to have you involved in the TOTM (Been quite a while from what I can tell!). I'm just astonished at your ability to keep things so amazingly interesting with just the drum beats (which are absurdly good btw). Awesome stuff!

·
TOTM administrator
6,142 Posts
So who knew - Concert C#- is really hard lol. This could take me a minute to wrangle! Just goes to show how out of practice I am at hard scale keys.... I should probably add scales to my daily practice (cringe)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have been playing alto almost exactly 3 1/2 years, after listening to saxophones for about the last 50. I've heard Coltrane's Equinox a thousand times and I wouldn't have thought of trying to play it, but I wanted to see if I get get tone and feeling from the alto. There's some YDS-150 attempted tenor in the middle, but the YDS is NOT a saxophone, it's only shaped like one. I moved the Cm track up to C#m. Ouch, some bad high notes. :oops:
https://soundcloud.com/randulo%2Fequinox

1 - 20 of 48 Posts