Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, anybody with any info on the Julius Keilwerth ST90? Was reading some very old threads and see that this is in fact a Chinese made Jupiter branded with the Keilwerth name. I was also told that this horn was made in Germany...that's where I began to scratch my head. Is there in fact one made in Germany and one of the same in China? I would highly doubt that. Thanks!!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Early EX were made in Germany and later ones Taiwan (go for the Taiwan). I believe all ST, alto and tenor, were Taiwan. I only owned three altos and a single tenor, though. But they were all stamped "Taiwan."

I would pass on the tenors, even after playing only the one. It felt and sounded like a very cheap instrument. The altos were all good; about the same as a Jupiter 767-769. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Early EX were made in Germany and later ones Taiwan (go for the Taiwan). I believe all ST, alto and tenor, were Taiwan. I only owned three altos and a single tenor, though. But they were all stamped "Taiwan."

I would pass on the tenors, even after playing only the one. It felt and sounded like a very cheap instrument. The altos were all good; about the same as a Jupiter 767-769. Hope this helps.
It sure does help...nice to have friend's in high places!! I was about to dish out 800 CAD for one!! think I'll change my mind on that!! Thanks, much appreciated!! Ohhh and 300 CAD for shipping!!

·
Registered
918 Posts
That would be nearly twice the alto's value used. You likely are not able to shop the Marketplace here yet.

Look on Reverb for the fairest prices, and usually by sellers who know their instrument. Always ask non-general, pointed questions before buying, like "does this sax play easily starting from its low Bb?"

Enjoy the hunt!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do and will keep your suggestion in mind, thanks!! Nope, can't shop here just yet and maybe by the time I can, I would have had enough of shopping, this reminds me of Christmas shopping... and can't wait for it to be over!!:santa::reindeer:

·
Registered
918 Posts
My comment above, go for the Taiwan, I would apply in general. I have never, not once, found a sax in good playing adjustment stamped "ROC" or "Made in Taiwan" that I could not recommend. But a couple of German-made horns I found pretty disappointing.

What I'm saying is, don't pay a premium for one made in Germany over one that is Taiwan-sourced. You may find yourself paying double the price for the same or lesser quality instrument.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts