Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing on a Drake mouthpiece for the last 10 years or so in a roots RnB setting and it's great. Placement on the neck is normal. I recently started picking up some big band gigs and really like the fatter sound of a PPT mouthpiece I picked up from someone on SOTW. However, the PPT is very flat and needs to pushed in a lot, right up to the end of the cork on the neck. Adding to that, the fit of the PPT is very tight compared to the Drake so after playing the PPT, the cork is compressed and the Drake fits loosely.

How do you remedy this to be able to go back and forth between these pieces depending on the gig?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,709 Posts
No magic answer...

1. Pick one and stick with it

2.make the cork fit the PPT and use teflon tspe for the Drake.

3. Pick up an alternate neck...granted that is an extreme choice but still a potential option.

Some folks have created O Ring cork replaments to solve that issue. I dont know how well they worked but it never seemed to go mainstream.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
The tight fitting mouthpiece shank bore can be sanded out. Then a larger cork can be used so both mouthpieces fit on the same neck.

Or, the larger bore can be made smaller using a layer of epoxy and then sanding it smooth. I have a video on YouTube showing how to do this. This is the better way to go if the large borebone is the one that is odd compared to most mouthpieces.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,912 Posts
However, the PPT is very flat and needs to pushed in a lot, right up to the end of the cork on the neck.
It may be misleading to call the PPT a flat mouthpiece when what is required is correct placement on the cork. If you bought it used then it could well be a custom order with longer shank - many people want those as a lot of vintage baritones have a reputation for being sharp. (An important thing about PPTs are that they work well re: intonation especially for older baritones)

As for the shank diameter, this is a common issue with different mouthpieces when you switch between them a lot. (Something I don't recommend but I understand why people want to of course). As well as the teflon tape (or a piece of paper) it can often work well to resell the cork by holding it briefly above the spout of a boing kettle (be careful to protect the lacquer though).

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I have almost 20 bari pieces including 2 Drakes and a PPT. The Drakes have two of the largest shank IDs and the PPT the smallest so you are working with extremes in this regard. I have 2 necks for my horn, often not as expensive a solution as you might think. I bought the standard brass Yani bari neck new for around $150. If I were going modify one of my pieces I would open the shank of the PPT slightly as the Drake size is a it closer to the size of most of the rest of bari pieces I own.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,912 Posts
. If I were going modify one of my pieces I would open the shank of the PPT slightly as the Drake size is a it closer to the size of most of the rest of bari pieces I own.
And that is the easiest process.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It may be misleading to call the PPT a flat mouthpiece when what is required is correct placement on the cork........
Very true, I should have said that I have to push in a lot with this piece when compared to the Drake. I did not mean to imply that there is something wrong with the PPT.

Thanks for the help, all! I will get to work on that PPT. By the way, it is one of the older white PPT pieces and has "7LV" inscribed just to the side of the base of the table. Not sure if Pete would have any more info on it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,120 Posts
If you bought it used then it could well be a custom order with longer shank...
No, this one came from me and was ordered for a modern bari without any modifications requested. I know for a fact that the shank length was standard for the first issue of bari mouthpieces, as I have been able to compare to two other PPTs from that time - also standard. IMO, the PPT mouthpieces are slightly long relative to some other pieces, which is rather convenient, as it is easier to push a bit further in on the cork if needed, as opposed to have a mouthpiece dangling off the end. Perhaps this more applies to tenor than bari mouthpieces.

This does not address a narrow bore size, obviously - sorry. I wasn't aware of the bore size being an issue with PPT mouthpieces. If this is a deal-breaker, then I will refund your money if you return the mouthpiece to me as received.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha! Fat chance! I love this thing. Just gotta make it share the neck with my Drake. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts