Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,789 Posts

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
I love Jr. who doesn't? I got to see him in a club in the 90's and it was just the real deal from start to finish.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
dupicate

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
I love Jr. who doesn't? I got to see him in a club in the 90's and it was just the real deal from start to finish.
Indeed,Jim.
Same here. He played the Forum at Ontario Place in Toronto in the '90S, great show.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,023 Posts
Love his playing. I also saw him back in the '90s at the Bach Dancing & Dynamite Society. I remember he arrived outside in a long limo...

·
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, sure would be nice to hear more of this style along with King Curtis, Clarence Clemons and Plas Johnson to name a few on the radio and TV these days.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I about threw my back out watching this one:

https://youtu.be/2B-ZTuq5buU

Such fun this guy is! Great talent and just flat gets a groove on. (Things really start cooking right around 2:17)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,133 Posts
I about threw my back out watching this one:

https://youtu.be/2B-ZTuq5buU

Such fun this guy is! Great talent and just flat gets a groove on. (Things really start cooking right around 2:17)
Very interesting clip Clax! For one thing, it's completely live and loose. It's also over 5 and half minutes long which is pretty amazing for that era. Check out the tempo which starts out slow and gets much faster at the end. It's not Jr's best playing but still pretty awesome. Wonder if that is his Link mpc or the Lawton?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,023 Posts
Wonder if that is his Link mpc or the Lawton?
Hard to tell in that clip, but it looks like a Berg. And didn't he usually play a Berg back then? I think he used the Berg for a number of years, then changed to a Lawton sometime in the '70s. Never heard of him playing a Link.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
He had the Lawton when I saw him.
A friend was at the Rock and Roll Museum in Cleveland which was reputed to have his tenor. My friend who went was very disappointed to see a Yamaha in the display case.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Last time I saw Jr. perform, shortly before his passing, he was definitely playing a VI as when he took a break he was walking around the club with it strapped to his back and I was very close to it

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,133 Posts
I met Junior once and asked him what kind a mouthpiece he was using. He said it was a Link. Maybe that was just a passing phase.

I’m guessing the Yamaha tenor in the museum was a horn that he owned but did not play much.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was fortunate enough to have been playing in a band on the same bill as Junior Walker at a concert in Shelby, NC back in the late 80's I believe it was. He was back at the sound board monkeying around with his wireless setup during sound check. I walked up to him and as we were talking I asked him what mpc he was presently playing and he told me it was a Bug Larskin. Of course he was saying Berg Larsen in his own way. He was the nicest guy you could ever meet. He even let me play his gold plated Mark VI in the dressing room. The pearl was missing out of the the B key on the left hand stack. His lovely, elegant wife was with him and was also very friendly. I had always loved Junior Walker but loved him even more after that wonderful evening.

"What Does It Take" is one of the most beautiful pop tunes of all times. When Motown presented it to him he didn't care for it. He said it just wasn't his bag. They convinced him to record it anyway and it was a big hit for him. Every time I hear that song it really brightens my day. Thank You Junior, for your music and for your kindness! RIP

·
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"What Does It Take" is one of the most beautiful pop tunes of all times. When Motown presented it to him he didn't care for it. He said it just wasn't his bag. They convinced him to record it anyway and it was a big hit for him. Every time I hear that song it really brightens my day. Thank You Junior, for your music and for your kindness! RI
Absolutely...what a classic. Still play it today and the dancers remember it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts