Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm am a new member here, just registered now. I am from sweden and play alto sax, selmer modele 22 (jody jazz hc 7M)
An how...

I wanted a tenor aswell and thought that after many years playing I wanted to buy one. So I bought the model 042 from John Packer. An a mouthpiece, Otto Link STM tip opening 9 playing regular vandoren 3.

It sounds really good for being a low price horn and has great tone and character from the sound of it, and a great intonation that is very even in al registers. easy to play and cheaper than the lowest priced Yamaha student tenor sax. and this one plays even as good as the model 62 in my opinion.

Anyone else has any experience with this horn?. The tone I get from it is quite mellow and smooth (wich i like) I tryed a "Berg Larsen" aswell, and it had better punch to the tones, and clearer tones. But just as with my alto I want a soft round and quite dark tone. Not that there are no punch or attitued in the sound! but I want control over my tone so that I can play "pinao" and also burn the hell out of that sax and play "Forte"

Please tell me your experience and what you think of the horn! The thing i found so amazing is that it cost around 600$ and sound really really good.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Hi!

I am from Sweden too and have a student that play on A JP tenor. I think its the same model as yours. I was surprised when I tried it during our first lesson. It had a solid core to the tone and played good. It is a heavy and well built horn. Its not a professional horn but a very good alternative to the much more expensive Yamaha entry level tenors a well as jupiter 5xx series. The best student horn I have played was a Jupiter 7xx series tenor. The next step up are the System'54 horns wich I sell. A professional horn but the price are the same as a intermediate horn. Enjoy your new horn!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi!

I am from Sweden too and have a student that play on A JP tenor. I think its the same model as yours. I was surprised when I tried it during our first lesson. It had a solid core to the tone and played good. It is a heavy and well built horn. Its not a professional horn but a very good alternative to the much more expensive Yamaha entry level tenors a well as jupiter 5xx series. The best student horn I have played was a Jupiter 7xx series tenor. The next step up are the System'54 horns wich I sell. A professional horn but the price are the same as a intermediate horn. Enjoy your new horn!
Vart i sverige undervisar du? Vad är de för skillnad egentligen mellan profs saxar och inte profs saxar idag? jag menar de låter ju bra om den liksom och intonationen är bra. vad är skillnaden? är debara kvalitet skillnad och priset?

Where in sweden do you teach? what's the diffrent between pro sax and int. sax if they sound good?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,382 Posts
Hi Ricgus.

I have a JP tenor as yours, beside of a 1961 Mk 6. I mostly play the john packer. There is a difference in sound and keywork, but i use the JP in any professional gig, except recording.

Alto, Soprano and Flute are good too, and that's my normal setup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts