Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Josh is one of my favorite saxophonists, and he's got a new album out. Looks like Dewey Redman and Joe Lovano are both on this one. It's trios, no piano. I listened to the clips on the website, and I am getting it on iTunes now. It's called "Back East." Anyone have it yet?

Dave

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,774 Posts
I've been really excited about this CD since I first heard about it. I need to go get this, NOW.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Yes! Got it from iTunes. Great stuff. Redman is a great player, I really like his tone on that tenor. What a mix of technique and musicality, it is impressive, for instance, the way he plays melodically and fully controlled in the altissimo register

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
kavala said:
I thought Dewey Redman had died ?????
He did, but it was just last year, so the tunes were probably not released. Unless...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah. Fitting that his last recording was with his son. The album is amazing by the way. GO GET THIS ONE!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
I think the album 'Elastic' is a revolutionary CD.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I only stumbled across this by accident in iTunes, mine's on its way.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Is this the BACK EAST cd?
One with all the tunes referring to Sonny Rollins? Many from Out West.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've gotta agree with everyone here - This album is sublime. My favorite cut on it is probably Zarafah, but the way he plays the head on Surrey With the Fringe on Top is awesome. Highly recommended!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts