Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is doing work for Joshua at the moment? Does anyone know approx. what tip opening he is playing on tenor?

Just curious.. it seems to have changed throughout the years.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I think that now he plays a slant sig from Theo Wanne. It does not sound like a big tipper and he surely uses a hard reed (from what I can hear).. I would guess 6-7 with something like a RJS #3H reed (I am just saying it a strength example), but then again I might be wrong :)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Theo Wanne has been his guy for quite some time now.

He's been playing on Alexander Superial's for a little over a year now I think. Not sure of the strength though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Q.: What kind of reeds does Joshua use?

A.: Joshua uses Alexander Superial DC #4s for Tenor and DC #3 1/2s for Soprano.

Right off of his site.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
well whoever is his mouthpiece guy is Redman ought to be looking for a new one. This guy,Redman, is terrible, has always sounded like he has a sock in the horn and he has no creative spirit, sort on a plane with ravi coltrane. Both these guys had fathers who no doubt are spinning in their graves, embarassed as to how their sons have developed(?).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,305 Posts
Thomas said:
well whoever is his mouthpiece guy is Redman ought to be looking for a new one. This guy,Redman, is terrible, has always sounded like he has a sock in the horn and he has no creative spirit, sort on a plane with ravi coltrane. Both these guys had fathers who no doubt are spinning in their graves, embarassed as to how their sons have developed(?).
Did I miss a punch line here somewhere...

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you serious? Now I have never professed my opinion to be that, Joshua Redman is the greatest tenor man ever, frankly that would be an impossible statement to make given the wide variety and types of players that have graced the earth throughout the years.

But to say he is terrible is so COMPLETELY narrowminded a statement it barely justifies reply. Redman certainly has a command of the horn that rivals anything that has ever been done both technically and creatively, and can play circles around his father (Ravi Coltrane, definitely not the kind of player his father was, but still VERY GOOD, and to compare him to his father wouldn't be fair to anyone that had the misfortune of the last name Coltrane)

You clearly, have not listened to either of these players to a great extent.

Thank you and have a good day!

·
2,011 Posts
Hersch17 said:
Are you serious? Now I have never professed my opinion to be that, Joshua Redman is the greatest tenor man ever, frankly that would be an impossible statement to make given the wide variety and types of players that have graced the earth throughout the years.

But to say he is terrible is so COMPLETELY narrowminded a statement it barely justifies reply. Redman certainly has a command of the horn that rivals anything that has ever been done both technically and creatively, and can play circles around his father (Ravi Coltrane, definitely not the kind of player his father was, but still VERY GOOD, and to compare him to his father wouldn't be fair to anyone that had the misfortune of the last name Coltrane)

I concur...Joshua Redman was the one that inspired me to pick up the Horn in the first place....I saw him on TV 10 yrs ago and he was amazing...the next day I rented a Horn and my life changed for ever ...I went to his Show at the Vancouver Jazz Festival 3 months after first seeing him and he spent an hour sitting on the stage chating with me ...he was fantastic and very very humble..the irorny happened last year when he was Playing in Toronto...I could not pay the $40 to go see him because I had a gig that night and got paid $125....Thanks Joshau:cool:

Steve

·
2,773 Posts
Hersch17 said:

Although I am a big Joshua Redman fan, I wouldn't say that he can play circles around his father. The kind of music they make is so different that comparisons are not really valid. Joshua is a great player. So was Dewey.

Ravi Coltrane, on the other hand, is nowhere near the player his father was. He's also an excellent player. It seems to me like his name is both a blessing (he has plenty of "built-in" publicity) and a curse (he will always have to live in his father's enormous shadow).

I like both of these players and their fathers. I see no need to compare them.

Back on the subject of mouthpieces, it would make sense if Eric Drake did mouthpiece work for Joshua Redman, since Eric's shop is in Berkeley, which is Joshua's home town. Plus, Eric is a very good refacer who did a great job with my Link.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thomas said:
Both these guys had fathers who no doubt are spinning in their graves, embarassed as to how their sons have developed(?).
Thomas, and you are certain of this fact because...... ? If it is okay, I will appreciate a PM from you to understand what I may have been overstating in Josh's or Ravi's music.

Anyway, back to the mouthpiece.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thomas said:
When I first read this post, I thought you were joking. In case you really mean these comments, I really feel sorry for you, because you have not realized Redman's great talent: great technique which he only uses to serve the music and not showing off, mature playing which is rare for a musician as young as he is, and, most importantly, great sophisticated melodic lines coming straight from the story-telling tradition of Lester Young, indicating that he is a very interesting and "thinking" human being.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
istan said:
When I first read this post, I thought you were joking. In case you really mean these comments, I really feel sorry for you, because you have not realized Redman's great talent: great technique which he only uses to serve the music and not showing off, mature playing which is rare for a musician as young as he is, and, most importantly, great sophisticated melodic lines coming straight from the story-telling tradition of Lester Young, indicating that he is a very interesting and "thinking" human being.
AMEN!

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Nothing wrong with Josh or Ravi in my book. Personally, I prefer Ravi's playing, I think he's really tried to develop his own voice and embrace a different style and move into newer territory (ala the Steve Coleman path). Josh lost some of my interest after Mood Swing. I don't know why, and I haven't really tried to see where he's at now.

Neither parent is "rolling in the grave" I think. Though Dewey had made comments that he felt his son could doo much more for the music and was catering a little too much to the commercial end of things. (Even though I suspect it was less of an accusation and more of an observation). As a parent I would find it hard to be critical of my kid making any sort of living in music.

Either way. It is clear that both of them posses ability and have worked at their craft. More power to 'em.

·
1,877 Posts
Thomas said:
Dude ??????

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Thomas said:
Wow. That's pretty harsh...besides that Joshua Redman is an excellent player, easily as good as his dad.

Ravi Coltrane, on the other hand, has a problem. He's a very good player, but he's the Julian Lennon of jazz, and that's a curse I wouldn't wish on anyone.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I don't normally like to get in debates like this but I think it's pretty difficult to say Josh is as good as his dad was. Dewey had so much more experience than Josh does at this point. Maybe some day in the future Josh will be as good as Dewey was but I think it's a little premature to say that he is easily as good as his dad.

Also, I saw Josh perform a few years back and I must say that he was actually a big show off. I was turned off. Maybe he has changed since I saw him but I lost a lot of respect for him when I saw him live. The word that comes to mind when I think of that performance is jive. His band was smoking though.

To each his own.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I believe that Joshua has changed jazz in a way that his father hadn't.
Dewey was an excellent player, certainly more experienced than Josh but with "Elastic" JOsh showed a whole different aproach to jazz with an extraordinary trio (redman, blade, yahel). That album was surely something different to what everything was used to and was not lacking anything so that it would be characterized one of the best modern jazz albums..
at least if I am asked to name 2 modern sax players that will remain in the jazz history and twist it a bit their own way these would be Redman on tenor and Osby on alto (it is a fact that I consider Osby being a step further than Redman, because he is also playing melodys and not following patterns when improvising, but his harmonic and rythmic structures are more interesting)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts