Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just attended the Joshua Redman and Brad Mehldau live performance at the Montreal Jazz Festival and am still shocked: I think I just heard the best tenor sound ever!

I will keep it short and saying that, even if you do not particularly dig his recordings and his tone of those (which is essentially my case: he never blew me away on recordings) you got to do yourself a favor and go to watch Joshua live if he happens to play close to you. You'll be glad you did.
Every time I saw him live he impressed me enormously but this time I think he outdid himself... And no, I was not on cocaine...

Note: I have traveled from Dubai to Montreal to attend this concert (and Paco de Lucia, another of my myths...) and I am really glad I did....

·
Registered
193 Posts
@stormott77, let me know when he play here in Southern California. Joshua Redman is responsible for me switch from alto to tenor, especially because his tone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@stormott77, let me know when he play here in Southern California. Joshua Redman is responsible for me switch from alto to tenor, especially because his tone.
And if you like him on recordings I am telling you.... you will faint live!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
Yes, he is amazing. I kind of liked him better when he was playing on a different mouthpiece than the Florida he is using now (I guess it is a Florida 7). He used a metal piece at the begining. I have seen him live and he is incredible. His sound on tenor is awesome as it is on soprano. When he takes the alto I am not as impressed.

He is one of the best musicians I have seen in my life.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Is he ever Texas bound?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I got to drive him around for a few days when he came to the University of GA a few years back. Seen him play 5 times, first time in 94/95-ish. It has been really cool to hear his evolution. I really admire his improvement and fresh creativity.

A really nice guy. Private...but polite, kind, and generous with knowledge. I turned him on to Don Byron, Do the Boomerang: The Music of Junior Walker in my car. I still feel like a nerd to be so proud of this cool moment.

As far as "musical/sax tips, etc" he talked about how he should have practiced super seriously earlier in life, but was working it out now.

I like rooting for and listening to Redman. He's cool, does his thing musically, and always tries to keep it interesting. A smart dude.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Milandro and I saw Redman with his group James Farm in Amsterdam a few weeks ago. He really was very, very good. The other members of the group were excellent players too (well, I assume the double bass player was... I find it hard to tell. But the drummer and pianist were terrific).

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
:) the bass player was incredible too (also some of his compositions were!)..........I like the concert very much and it was a great example of a group , not of a soloist with a supporting group, as you very so often see, in fact , to me it was not Joshua Redman AND James Farm but James Farm full stop.
One very small drawback was that they were a bit of a " cold" band , they did what they had to do and there was little interaction with the public. Let alone the one and only " encore" which was the only piece in which Redman used his soprano that was brought on stage before he came and stayed there until the encore.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have a CD in my car that just seems to keep finding itself in the player. I love his tone and altissimo word. The shape of his melodic lines is what I aspire to do. So many things to learn, so little time... Redman is the real deal (IMHO). I think he is in Ottawa, Canada today! Why do they have all of these great jazz festivals (Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto) when I am still teaching school. It's some sort of plot I think...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
Josh will be at Caramoor, the outdoor concert venue north of NYC, on Aug. 6. I plan on going.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
I saw him a year or two ago, and it was one of the best two shows I've ever seen live. Great playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
They were streamed live from the Newport Jazz Festival on npr.org today. I just caught the end of the last tune. Should be up for replay tonite or tomorrow. Other stuff coming up on the live stream:
Ravi Coltrane Quartet 3:50 p.m. ET
John Hollenbeck Large Ensemble 4:50 p.m. ET
Miguel Zenon's Puerto Rican Songbook 5:30 p.m. ET

·
Registered
127 Posts
i got to see him years ago at Seattle's Jazz Alley. He was quite impressive...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey Augman, he was here in SD in 2006 with the SFJC. Are you giging in SD? I play with a Big band in Hotel La Jolla, at the restaurant "The Grill" every Sunday from 6pm to 8pm. No cover charge.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts