Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just attended the Joshua Redman and Brad Mehldau live performance at the Montreal Jazz Festival and am still shocked: I think I just heard the best tenor sound ever!

I will keep it short and saying that, even if you do not particularly dig his recordings and his tone of those (which is essentially my case: he never blew me away on recordings) you got to do yourself a favor and go to watch Joshua live if he happens to play close to you. You'll be glad you did.
Every time I saw him live he impressed me enormously but this time I think he outdid himself... And no, I was not on cocaine...

Note: I have traveled from Dubai to Montreal to attend this concert (and Paco de Lucia, another of my myths...) and I am really glad I did....

·
Registered
193 Posts
@stormott77, let me know when he play here in Southern California. Joshua Redman is responsible for me switch from alto to tenor, especially because his tone.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,292 Posts
Yes, he is amazing. I kind of liked him better when he was playing on a different mouthpiece than the Florida he is using now (I guess it is a Florida 7). He used a metal piece at the begining. I have seen him live and he is incredible. His sound on tenor is awesome as it is on soprano. When he takes the alto I am not as impressed.

He is one of the best musicians I have seen in my life.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I got to drive him around for a few days when he came to the University of GA a few years back. Seen him play 5 times, first time in 94/95-ish. It has been really cool to hear his evolution. I really admire his improvement and fresh creativity.

A really nice guy. Private...but polite, kind, and generous with knowledge. I turned him on to Don Byron, Do the Boomerang: The Music of Junior Walker in my car. I still feel like a nerd to be so proud of this cool moment.

As far as "musical/sax tips, etc" he talked about how he should have practiced super seriously earlier in life, but was working it out now.

I like rooting for and listening to Redman. He's cool, does his thing musically, and always tries to keep it interesting. A smart dude.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Milandro and I saw Redman with his group James Farm in Amsterdam a few weeks ago. He really was very, very good. The other members of the group were excellent players too (well, I assume the double bass player was... I find it hard to tell. But the drummer and pianist were terrific).

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,895 Posts
:) the bass player was incredible too (also some of his compositions were!)..........I like the concert very much and it was a great example of a group , not of a soloist with a supporting group, as you very so often see, in fact , to me it was not Joshua Redman AND James Farm but James Farm full stop.
One very small drawback was that they were a bit of a " cold" band , they did what they had to do and there was little interaction with the public. Let alone the one and only " encore" which was the only piece in which Redman used his soprano that was brought on stage before he came and stayed there until the encore.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have a CD in my car that just seems to keep finding itself in the player. I love his tone and altissimo word. The shape of his melodic lines is what I aspire to do. So many things to learn, so little time... Redman is the real deal (IMHO). I think he is in Ottawa, Canada today! Why do they have all of these great jazz festivals (Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto) when I am still teaching school. It's some sort of plot I think...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
Josh will be at Caramoor, the outdoor concert venue north of NYC, on Aug. 6. I plan on going.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
I saw him a year or two ago, and it was one of the best two shows I've ever seen live. Great playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
They were streamed live from the Newport Jazz Festival on npr.org today. I just caught the end of the last tune. Should be up for replay tonite or tomorrow. Other stuff coming up on the live stream:
Ravi Coltrane Quartet 3:50 p.m. ET
John Hollenbeck Large Ensemble 4:50 p.m. ET
Miguel Zenon's Puerto Rican Songbook 5:30 p.m. ET

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey Augman, he was here in SD in 2006 with the SFJC. Are you giging in SD? I play with a Big band in Hotel La Jolla, at the restaurant "The Grill" every Sunday from 6pm to 8pm. No cover charge.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts